Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

This is looking serious!!!

I like.

Have you altered the width of the rear chassis rails to accomodate the rear sub frame?

This mod has been crying out to happen, so well done for being the first.

Mike

Originally posted by paul S View Post
    The washers are just for trying things in place.
    I'm progressing with the rear axle with some chassis mods.
    [ATTACH]6880[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6881[/ATTACH]
    Body mods to come later.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-11-15, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Yes , chassis wider and longer ( to fit a tall ish driver)
      also box section narrowed to give room for the springsmarlin x5 009.jpg
      also new bulkhead marlin x5 019.jpg
      all mazda master cylinders and steering ( more picks soon)

Comment

Hi all
        Been away so slow progress.
        barn dammage + marlin x5 004.jpg
        An extra mx5 column section works ( he with the sharp eye will see i'm going LHD)
        barn dammage + marlin x5 013.jpg
        Chassis extened now to the bodywork. Have to make new doors 20cm longer and
        extend the wings.
        barn dammage + marlin x5 030.jpg
        Have to make bits smaller then bigger.
        Still a long way to go.

Comment

Now that's really pricked my interest. Why LHD?
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

LHD?

I live in France.
            This is the 5th marlin i've converted to lhd
            but the biggest convertion so far.

Comment

Why do you have to make "the bits smaller then bigger"?

Have you narrowed the rear tub, and then elongated the whole car?

Comment

It's just that i've cut the rear tub into smaller bits to add about
                18cm into the width and keep the nice curves.
                The car will be wider and longer than the original.barn dammage + marlin x5 009.jpg

Comment

This gets better by the post................ I have had a hankering to do just this to a Berlinetta, so I will be very interested to see the finished car in the flesh and see how the proportions work out.

Have you added any width to the front chassis?

Keep up the pioneering work - its great to see.

Originally posted by paul S View Post
                  It's just that i've cut the rear tub into smaller bits to add about
                  18cm into the width and keep the nice curves.
                  The car will be wider and longer than the original.[ATTACH]6961[/ATTACH]
                  Last edited by Mike; 23-11-15, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    This gets better by the post................ I have had a hankering to do just this to a Berlinetta
                    yes me too Watching with interest - always nice to watch some skill being put to use too. Keep it up!

Comment

It's certainly an intriguing conversion & it's good to see what is possible.

However, from a UK-perspective (not sure on French legislation) I can't help feeling this would represent, in anyone's book, a "radically altered vehicle" and as such be subject to IVA.
                      I appreciate the (simplistic) argument that once registered you can do what you will but (in the UK) you would still be at the mercy of every MOT inspector with a little knowledge of kit cars who felt the need to "query" it with VOSA.
                      Engine/gearbox/axle changes - OK within reason, suspension & braking updates - OK but once you combine totally new (and not designed for) running gear and a heavily chopped chassis I would be very very wary.

Sorry to be negative but just felt it had to be said.
                      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Think you are correct red-roadster - as you are not allowed to alter an existing chassis - DVLA getting quite sharp on hot rods and 'customimised' cars with modified bodies..

Comment

It will be going for the French minestry checks before it can be put on the road.

Comment

this is the link

Comment

Even if it was in the UK how would the MOT man or anyone else other than us sad old fellows tell the difference, between roadster Mk1,hybrid,Marina Mk2and the various chassis changes made by YKC who else will know its been modified?
                              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                                Even if it was in the UK how would the MOT man or anyone else other than us sad old fellows tell the difference, between roadster Mk1,hybrid,Marina Mk2and the various chassis changes made by YKC who else will know its been modified?
                                In this case, bearing in mind the 30 year rule if France, and the fact that MX 5's came out in 1989 the mathematics do not add up, with a chassis older than it's major component parts and drive train, the reverse of most but not all kit cars, but Paul S seems to have a handle on his particular situation in France.

I understand what Ben is saying, but there are bound to be clues that the car has been extensively modified, just as there are in accident repairs.

Agreed that many testers would not have a clue, but as with the Hot-Rod community, it only takes one overzealous MOT tester, Police Officer or God forbid an Insurance Assesor, and your pride and joy becomes a victim of an IVA test, which it may well fail, reducing it to a garden ornament.

But then you can be lucky and get away with it for years.

It's still a fascinating project to watch, if it gets completed successfully, he might get a customer for another one.
                                MOC member since 05/97
                                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                                X