Gearbox Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gearbox Swap

That definitely needs more support, not just relying on the ally flanges and the attachment of the floor board.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

This was how I did mine on my 2L Fiat engine and box. It' handleing 150hp OK and seems to work well
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by h.m.cumming1 View Post
        This was how I did mine on my 2L Fiat engine and box. It' handleing 150hp OK and seems to work well
        What did you use to strengthen the floor?
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
          That definitely needs more support, not just relying on the ally flanges and the attachment of the floor board.
          Yes, it'll have a length of steel angle above the floor board which I s bolted to the tunnel

Comment

My floor is 1/2" ply bonded and bolted all round. I put spreader plates on the inside.
            Just looking at it now I must get the ends of those bolts cut off!!
            I looked at it that since the origional marlin design just bolted to the tunnel then this had to be stronger.
            Last edited by h_m_cumming; 20-09-15, 07:32 AM. Reason: addition.

Comment

I haven't given up, honest! Just had a lot on recently so I've not been able to get into the garage. What's concerning me at the moment is the clearance between the bulge (I can't think of a better description) for the starter motor and the end of the tunnel. I remember that it was close before but it seems to be closer now but I can't figure out why

Comment

Here are a few pictures...
                20151008_211201.jpg20151008_211219.jpg20151008_211551.jpg

As you can see there's next to no clearance. Considering that the engine is in the same place and the bell housing is the same I can only think that it's the angle of the gearbox in the tunnel. I can improve it by moving the tail of the box over toward the passenger side but then it's not in line with the diff flange and I cant get to the filler plug... The other thing that makes it look better is dropping the back of the gearbox down, but then the engine will be at something like 5 degrees. Any ideas?

Comment

Ok, so I managed to use a leaver to move the engine and box about 1/4" forward to get clearance to the floor. Then I drilled the oles in the floor and fitted the angle inside the car to help spread the load. Here's a couple of pictures from inside the car...
                  20151017_180625.jpg20151017_180922.jpg

Having got it all put back together James and I went for a run out to Windsor and back, which was great fun :-) There were no nasty transmission noises so I'm a very happy Marliner!

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                    Ok, so I managed to use a leaver to move the engine and box about 1/4" forward to get clearance to the floor. Then I drilled the oles in the floor and fitted the angle inside the car to help spread the load.

Having got it all put back together James and I went for a run out to Windsor and back, which was great fun :-) There were no nasty transmission noises so I'm a very happy Marliner!
                    Presumably you have not left the engine mounts under permanent tension.

The fifth gear overdrive is an excellent improvement.
                    Are you still running the standard Marina 3.63 ratio rear axle?
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The engine mounts weren't under tension, they had settled back if that makes sense so they were pushing the engine backwards so the engine is now back in its original position as near as damn it.

Comment

PS and the moral of the story would be to take some measurements of the existing installation before getting over excited and pulling the old gearbox out!

And yes I'm still running the 3.6 diff, the overdrive 5th gear does make a big difference
                        Last edited by andyf; 19-10-15, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Having run it for a year now the box has started making noises like the bearings are shot so it's got to come out again. Why does this happen just as the weather gets better????

The plan is to get it out tomorrow, rebuild it next weekend and refit it the week after.

I'm hoping to get it all done by the next SHEB meeting.
                          Last edited by andyf; 12-08-16, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Needless to say it's not going according to plan. Spent all of today stripping it down, on several occasions where the instructions said "slide it off the shaft" a deal of force was required. Found that both the input and mainshaft bearings are worn so I've ordered the parts ready for a rematch next week.

Comment

Got off to a good start on Friday morning and by about 2pm I had the main shaft reassembled and installed in the gear case along with the countershaft. Then I started to fit the 5th Gear and spacer onto the countershaft only to realise I hadn't fitted the bearing retaining clip. OK, not a big problem just remove the gear and fit the circlip. Well that's when things went wrong. The gear came off with a bit of bfi but so did the spacer which made a bid for freedom! I didn'the see the going of it and it was nowhere to be found.... have to wait a week now to get a replacement and finish the rebuild. Frustrating... grrrrr.

Comment

In my case parts that make a break for it usually hit my shoe and go right under the bench where all the junk is stored.

Come on Andy its out there somewhere!
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X