Can anyone identify my noise??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify my noise??

My Marlin has now done 4-500 miles since being built but it has a noise which I can't identify. I thought I'd post a note in case someone else has had something similar.
    It only happens going round right hand corners when the weight balance is transferred. It sounds like a screech and lasts less than half a second. It comes from the nearside but I can't tell whether it's from the front or back. I can't seem to be able to recreate the noise in the garage. Bumps/potholes taken in a straight line don't have any effect.

Initially I thought it was the rear tyre touching the chassis but I've put masking tape over the area where it could touch and it hasn't marked it. I've looked underneath generally and can't see that anything is touching/rubbing. I've had the front anti-roll bar bushes out and sprayed them with silicone but to no avail.

Any thoughts please??

Re: Can anyone identify my noise??

Hi Andrew
    I recently suffered similar noise,this was because I was basically overloaded on our European trip and on bumps and right hand corners got a high pitched screech and this was the rear O/S tyre contacting chassis at about the 2 o'clock position! obvious to spot as we did so many hairpins that it polished that part of the chassis!,but it looks like you've covered that option with your masking tape
    Good luck
    Stapley Bryan

Comment

See my earlier post as I had exactly the same. Actually sounds like I've run over a tin can on the road or the sort of noise you'd get if you shorted out the battery with a screwdriver. Looked at everything but still not sorted! Typically happens doing about 40mph on a slight right hand bend.
      Let us know if you find what it is.
      Gareth.

Comment

Sounds like a wheel bearing moving under load and allowing the brake to rub.
        I spent some time looking at the fornt of a car only to find it was a rear bearing and the noise was travelling through the bodyshell
        DJ

Comment

Well I've found it at last!! I was pretty convinced it was on the drive train somewhere but was proved wrong. It was caused by the alternator pulley vanes touching the metal support to the engine cowling but only when the engine 'leant' round a right hand corner and bumps in the road gave it the extra twitch. Solved by shortening the vanes and putting on a slightly shorter fan belt.
          Thanks everyone for help and suggestions

Comment

I'll be out checking that very soon. I hope that mine's the same. It's been driving me mad!!!
            Cheers
            Gareth.

Comment

Good luck Gareth

Comment

I had a screech with the same provoking factor ie. fast right hand bend. It was caused by the alternator fan hitting the chassis after i had replaced the old alternator with a new one which had a slightly bigger fan. Replacing the original fan cured the problem and has not caused the alternator to overheat . It also damaged the headlight loom where it had sagged down to near the fan from its original position so it might be worth checking that on your car.

Comment

The only thing I've found so far is an extremely loose fan belt. Don't know how I've missed that, but as yet, haven't taken her out for a test ride as sorned for winter. Will keep you posted in due course!
                  Gareth.

Comment

Working...
                  X