Berlinetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta

Can anybody identify these tie rods ? The car was registered in 1988. Is it a Sierra ?IMG_1602.jpg

Re: Berlinetta

This is the Cortina front end, Which tie rods are you refering to . The tie bar which is mounted to the bottom wishbone and runs forward and is mounted to the sub frame with a large bush? The track rod arms? The track rod ends?

Comment

whatever happened to the use of Cortina front suspension being banned on the Berlinetta's for the IVA and rumours of also for the MOT ??

Comment

Rumours.

Comment

So are you saying that you can get a Berlinetta through the IVA test now ??? Just in case an abandoned project comes up !!!

Comment

there is no issue with cortina front suspension components getting through an mot - after all if you took your classic cortina in it would pass. My own berli passes mot easily with this same suspension.
            The problem with IVA is that some examiners don't like the way the subframe is mounted to the chassis - its not done using the original cortina mounting points so cannot be seen to be a type-approved component being reused in the same way as the original fitting. You could argue that if the chassis was adapted to take the original mounting method then is should be ok - but thats a fair old risk to take. Of course, if a basket case berli was available which had been on the road you could always restore it using all the new and reconditioned parts from the "abandoned project" that would be perfectly reasonable.

Comment

For more than a year now, an unregistered Berlinetta has appeared sporadically on EBay in a garage in Lancing, West Sussex.
              I don't think that the price is particularly unattractive, so there must be another reason why it has not sold in that time.
              If it is not a safety issue, I can only surmise that the risk of the car failing an ITV test is enough to deter potential buyers. It is this probability alone that is enough to make the car worthless, and until someone manages to get an unregistered Berlinetta through an IVA, as an unregistered car, it is worth the sum of its spare parts and body panels, at best.

Someone braver than me might like to take it on, but there are enough registered Berlinettas out there for sale that don't have the same potential liability, unless there is an accident damaged one available that is beyond economic repair.

That is unless someone can get a definitive statement from the relevant authorities and/or some design data showing that the front subframe is structurally sound.

Rumer is a powerful thing. Can anyone provide any facts?

Comment

My answer (rumours) was about MOT test. I think Cameron has covered the different question regarding IVA. My personal advice is to only buy a Berly that has been registered (In whatever condition) However this is a decision for the individual, only they know what their own skills are. It would not be to difficult to discard the sub frame and introduce a beam with top and bottom wishbones.
                There was a Berly given this treatment some years back . Looked very good. Perhaps if you were considering an un built/ part built not reg kit of any make a visit and talk with your nearest IVA station may well be a good starting point, as well as consideration of all that has been written.

Comment

What's it all about. There is no problem that I know of with my cortina Berli or other's going for their annual pilgrimage to the MOT. Mine passed today, I did ask my examiner if he knew of any new laws on it after he checked on his computer said No. Passed and see you next year. Happy days. Cheers guy's
                  Last edited by Alan B Gloucester; 29-09-15, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X