Rear Wheel Bearings for Cabrio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Wheel Bearings for Cabrio

Does anyone know what the Part Numbers are for the Cabrio (Hunter) rear wheel bearings, seals and hub locknut (41mm A/F and L/H thread)?

I have 10” disc brakes and the suspension arms have the spigots for a rear anti roll bar so I guess we are looking at a Sierra XR4i / Granada set up for the original Ford donor.

Has anyone bought any recently and if so where from?

Peter.

Re: Rear Wheel Bearings for Cabrio

Burton Power looks a good bet. Part number BRT 910? You might want to check whether that's L/H or R/H for the nut as the site doesn't seem to specify.

Comment

I always find the Firstline on-line web catalogue good for searching for Ford parts as it has the dimensions of the bearings. Having found the right Firstline part number head over to ebay where you'll find lots of sellers.
      First Line offer a comprehensive range of over 8,000 part numbers for passenger and light commercial vehicles. The full range includes Suspension Arms, Tie Rod Ends, Axial Joints, Stabiliser Links, Top Strut Mounts and Strut Protection, King Pins, Engine Mountings and a wide variety of Bushes.

You may need to register and login which is dead easy.

Comment

I got a set from the local motor factor. The nut that holds the shaft in is very tight so I would suggest that you slacken it before you take the wheels off if you can get to it, and so make use of the brakes to stop the shaft turning. I did it on the bench and had to weld a long scaffold pole to an old brake disc. You will probably need 3/4 inch drive sockets to get it off.
        My Haynes manual says the left hand side has a left hand thread and the torque is 290Nm
        Last edited by scott h; 15-01-16, 06:07 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

Many thanks to all for your replies / info.

Thanks for the tip about first line. I will add it to my favourites for next time.

I also spotted the Burton Power listing and have managed to source a right and left bearing kit wih the same dimensions via Europarts (so I can do the other side when the weather gets warmer)! I hope they will be the correct size! One is Lucas and one SKF but both (in sealed boxes) have R/H thread nuts! As both bearings and seals are the same and only the nuts are different I guess someone non-tech has tried to cut costs / minimise stock by only using R/H nuts without understanding the reasoning. I will now have to use the old nut with a dab of thread lock for good measure and check it after a few miles, although with the torque figure involved I can’t see it moving in a hurry.

Today has been spent getting parts and sourcing a long breaker bar and a 41mm impact quality socket. This will just fit inside my Fox alloys if I fit the socket and then put the wheel on. That will allow me to hopefully undo it with the wheel on the ground!

I would have preferred ¾” drive but as the torque wrench goes up to 220lb ft with a ½” drive I hope that will do.

If it all works ok I will list the part numbers so that it can be added to the MOC database. Peter.
          Last edited by greyV8pete; 15-01-16, 08:02 PM.

Comment

One tip that I forgot. If you put the bearings in the freezer overnight they will contract slightly, and warm up the housing just before you fit the bearing it will expand slightly, should make it easier to fit the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
              One tip that I forgot. If you put the bearings in the freezer overnight they will contract slightly, and warm up the housing just before you fit the bearing it will expand slightly, should make it easier to fit the bearings.

Thit's a useful tip Scott thanks.

I have bearings on order from Burton Power. My hubs are from a Ford Granada!

Brembo discs obtained today from Euro Car Parts and same make pads ordered from same arriving tomorrow. My brakes are from a Ford Scorpio!

When it is all done (and everything works) I will post part numbers etc. Peter.

Comment

Quick update. Further check shows that the flange is u/s! The part that fits inside the bearings has been worn badly due to the bearings spinning as the big nut had come lose! Surely it can't have been torqued up properly at some time in the past as 200 lb/ft nyloc nuts don't usually come undone in a hurry. John at Kitfit to the rescue and a flange is in the post. Watch this space! Peter.

Comment

Just a thought, check that the left side of the car has the left hand threaded parts. If not perhaps it would work loose.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                    j
                    Just a thought, check that the left side of the car has the left hand threaded parts. If not perhaps it would work loose.
                    Yes thanks, the L/H/R is a L/H thread on the Granada, which I have, but strangely the Scorpio has R/H threads both sides! Burton Power bearing kit comes with two nuts, one L/H &one R/H ! Simples! Keeps their stock control simple too!

Comment

All back together now and MOT passed so here are notes and part numbers etc that I have gleaned on this voyage of discovery!

Marlin Hunter manufactured 1998.

Key Identification Features – rear Suspension and Driveshafts:
                      Rear drive shafts have 100mm dia flanges for the LOBRO drive shafts. The outer driveshafts have ABS grooves machined in so you need to specify ABS type when ordering parts. Bearing diameter 41mm and thread 21mm dia. L/H thread on N/S shaft & nyloc nut. The rear suspension arms have holes for the ABS sensors but these are plugged as not used on the Marlin. The arms also have the spigots on the top outer ends which originally would have been for the rear anti roll bar. The brake discs are solid unvented and 10” diameter with 4 holes at Sierra PCD.

Search Criteria used:
                      Granada 85-94 / Scorpio I –II ’98 2.3L Petrol / Sierra 82-93

Bearings:
                      Burton Power. Kit No BRT910. Outer and inner bearing OD 68mm, ID 41mm, width 21mm. Burton bearing kit comes with both R/H and L/H threaded nuts to suit either side. Socket required 41mm. The black impact type socket has a tapered outer so just fits inside my alloy wheels, provided you put the socket on the nut before refitting the wheel!

Brake discs:
                      Brembo 493124 (EuroCarParts Number 10459017A)

Brake Pads:
                      Brembo P24018 (EuroCarParts Number 1015920A)
                      [Original pads were Lucas LMS 112 / GDB 472]

Peter.

Comment

Thanks for that Peter, useful stuff to note
                        Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                        X