Position of Alternator on Ford 2 litre twin cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position of Alternator on Ford 2 litre twin cam

The Haynes manual shows the alternator on the Ford 2 litre DOHC to the left of the crankshaft pulley as you face the engine from the front with the water pump on the opposite side. On my engine the alternator is on the right on the same side and just underneath the water pump. Could someone with the same engine in their Cabrio confirm the position of their alternator and what type of drive belt is being used ie 'V' or flat with ribs. The reason for all this is that I need to replace my alternator and I'm struggling to find the right type. I think the situation is complicated slightly by the fact that Ford fitted four different makes of alternator over the life of the Sierra.
    Thanks
    Geoff

Re: Position of Alternator on Ford 2 litre twin cam

Geoff maybe not what you need but out of interest... I have the 2.0 DOHC in my Romero (Roadster) when I got the engine it had the power steering and air con set up. I binned everything of course and threw away the Motorolla Alternator (There were Lucas, Motorolla and Mitsubishi types fitted. Afaik all were fitted on the LHS so yours has been moved probably with a bracket made to fit where the a/c pump was). I used a small japanese 55A one with a ribbed belt, just swapping the pulley from the original u/s unit. I took the old belt which was way too long, sliced it and then fitted it drilling a small hole and bolting the belt back together, redrill re-bolt as required until you are happy with its length then take the belt off and pop it to your local motor factor. The belts are made in 1" increments I think so you should get something to fit off the shelf.

Comment

Hi Geoff my alternator is on right hand side just below water pump, belt is flat with ribs. If you need to know anything else I could drive it on to ramps and have a better look.
      Regards
      Dave

Comment

Thanks guys, a great help. The new alternator I have just received looks right but is fitted with a 'V' pulley so I just need to swap pulleys. It seems as though the alternator could be fitted either side, maybe depending upon the application.

Comment

Which alternator did you get ?, I will be replacing the water pump sometime due to an annoying squeak may as well replace the alternator as well as it looks the worse for wear and has had a good soaking in the past.
          Regards
          Dave

Comment

Its a Lucas A127 and I got it from West Lancs Autoelectrics for £66 inc VAT & P&P, no exchange. Didn't think that was too bad but its been a long time since I last replaced an alternator. As I said previously, I have got to swap the pulleys over. Got the V pulley off the new one ok but haven't yet tried getting the pulley off the old one. I suspect its gonna be tight!

Comment

Thanks Geoff made a note in manual, good luck with fitting the new one.

Comment

Bit slow in adding to this thread, but when I built mine, Marlin supplied a bracket designed to fit on the right below the water pump instead of top left. The drive is a ribbed belt. I went to my very friendly motor factors having put a length of string around the alternator/water pump and asked for a belt the same length as the string.
                The alternator was the original that came with the engine.

Comment

Mine is on the left. I sawed through the casting that supports both the alternator and the power steering to leave just the alternator. That meant the fan belt was now too long and after some searching with a very patient motor factor we came up with QBR 6 1187 which is for a Cleo 1.7 (the 1187 is the length in mm and the 6 is the number of ribs)

Comment

I must admit that the bracket to which the alternator is fitted does look fabricated rather than built by Ford so presumably that was supplied by Marlin. Managed to swap the pulleys over and fit the new alternator but it didn't seem to work. I checked all the wiring and all seemed ok so I re-fitted the old one which is working the same as it did before, ie only giving about 13.3V which is just below the minimum as I understand it. However it does charge the battery so I'll leave it in for the moment. Next thing is to get the new alternator tested before I send it back. I'm hoping this can be done off the car but I need to speak to one of my local friendly motor factors to check.

Comment

Working...
                    X