Access panel for clutch master cylinder change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access panel for clutch master cylinder change

I need to fit my replacement clutch master cylinder sooner rather than later as the slight leak from the boot is not going to get any better on its own.

I want to cut a hole with an access panel in the top of the bulkhead as I am not up to the contortions of getting under the dash anymore. Has anyone else done this and if so can you please post some dimensions plus photos if available?

I have already done this in the side of the bulkhead for when I fitted the dual servo and it worked a treat. I am also aware of keeping away from corners to preserve structural integrity once the cover plate is bolted back in place.

Thanks in advance. Peter.

Re: Access panel for clutch master cylinder change

Hi Peter,
    I couldn't see how I could get to the top of the pedals so I cut a 8" x 5" (200 x 127mm) access hatch in the top of the bulkhead. I used 16 gauge steel for the cover and several M5 screws going into rivnuts. This may be a bit over the top but I wanted to maintain the rigidity of the bulkhead. Like you I tried to keep away from corners. I'll post some photos a bit later.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
      Hi Peter,
      I couldn't see how I could get to the top of the pedals so I cut a 8" x 5" (200 x 127mm) access hatch in the top of the bulkhead. I used 16 gauge steel for the cover and several M5 screws going into rivnuts. This may be a bit over the top but I wanted to maintain the rigidity of the bulkhead. Like you I tried to keep away from corners. I'll post some photos a bit later.
      Excellent! Looking forward to the pics . Peter.

Comment

Peter,
        I'm currently on with this very job myself!
        I cut 3 holes with 3 sizes of hole saw to remove the cylinder though they may need to be larger to get the new cylinder back in. Take care, I caught the bracket beneath with the pilot drill.
        The clevis I bought with a spring clip to hold the pin rather than a nut and bolt may also make the job easier.
        Hope the photos help - my plate to cover the holes might even hide the damage to the gelcoat caused by hydraulic fluid seeping through the incorrect type of tubing originally fitted to the brake reservoir!
        John
        IMG_1422.JPGIMG_1423.JPG

Comment

Excellent thanks John! Your photos are the next best thing to having X-ray eyes. At last I can now orientate myself. Peter.

Comment

A couple of photos showing the hatch which gives me access to the top of the clutch and accelerator pedals. The opening is about 1 cm smaller all round than the cover.
            Attached Files

Comment

Excellent ! Many thanks Geoff. As I already have a large access panel in the side of the bulkhead, made when I fitted the dual servo, I can probably get away with a smaller top hole. However your photos, together with John’s above, have helped me to work out where my cut out needs to be. Many thanks also to the forum as a means of providing such quick technical information. Peter.

Comment

Working...
              X