Top Gear without Clarkson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Gear without Clarkson?

Are you looking forward to the next show, or was Evans just a second rate substitute for Clarkson?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Top Gear without Clarkson?

It was painful. Very wooden
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I'm prepared to give them a few episodes to "bed in" but I agree that felt very stilted. Plus Chris Evans looked like he was trying just a little bit too hard.

In fairness, Clarkson, Hammond and Captain Slow had several years to develop their characters and build their relationship.

Comment

I thought the old Top Gear was starting to become repetitive, and this seemed to be the same old stuff, but with a loud and annoying new presenter, and a bit less humour. I am not going out of my way to watch it again.

Comment

you cant take it away from Clarkson, he was a brilliant writer and the show owed its success to the dynamics between the presenters . I managed to watch about 5 minutes of the new show before I was frankly bored!

Comment

I have never liked Chris Evans so probably won't bother to watch again

Comment

When Evans managed to stop shouting every sentence it was reasonably palatable, unfortunately it didn't happen enough. Matt LeBlanc was a good choice as co-host and was entertaining enough. And all this doesn't detract from the fact that Clarkson is an over paid bully boy and one of the reasons I stopped watching the old top gear.
              2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Are we ready for another abomination?
                MOC member since 05/97
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I thought it was actually pretty good this week.
                  As for Clarkson being overpaid, at least he could string a sentence together which is more than most of the professional footballers out there!
                  Each to their own.

Comment

I enjoyed it this week. Still unnerving that Evans is barely paraphrasing Clarkson though. Wouldn't be so bad if Clarkson had been reading someone else words of the tele promoter.
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I thought it was better than last week. I'm disappointed that they have not taken the chance to change it a bit more. The fear is that they will lose fans, but the fans of the old crew will doggedly not watch anyway so they should take the chance to shake it up a bit. At the moment it's the same show, same script but new faces which is a bit awkward at times.

Comment

MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
                          I thought it was better than last week. I'm disappointed that they have not taken the chance to change it a bit more. The fear is that they will lose fans, but the fans of the old crew will doggedly not watch anyway so they should take the chance to shake it up a bit. At the moment it's the same show, same script but new faces which is a bit awkward at times.
                          I agree. However it's early days and will take time to gel. I said I would give it three episodes before making a decision. Roll on next week!

Was it just me or was episode one a tongue in the cheek dig at the "old" version? Reliant 3 wheelers etc? .

Comment

There we clear references to the Clarkson era, probably more due to audience expectation than fact.
                            i just find it disappointing that the BBC writers and producers could not come up with anything other than what has been an imitation of Clarksons version.
                            When Clarkson first took over as lead presenter of Top Gear he changed the format from its sedentary Edmunds type presenter to a more dynamic interactive show. He honed his writing and presenting skills with more journalism and some excellent documentaries, that I think more fitted his talent, his enthusiasm for engineering. He totally avoided the shouty overexcitable Evans style, exemplified in every TV and radio show that Evans has presented.
                            Evans may own some very nice machinery, but I doubt that he understands or respects the true development path of the technology he drives.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I must admit was getting bored with Clarkson, enjoy reading his books he is obviously a very clever guy, however I must have missed the point about engineering unless you can fix it with a Birmingham spanner that is. I kind of lost faith in the 3 of them when in one program they all did not know the difference between positive and negative chamber, I thought at least James would have got it right.
                              it will be interesting to see how things shape up on Amazon, or there is always Fifth Gear with the real drivers.

Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X