Berly on e-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Berly on e-bay

Sometimes I do think that members here are often not very kind to unknown vendors on eBay, pistonheads etc.
    A vendors job is to get the best price he can for the car, not the least! If prospective purchasers, and not all do, look at the MOC forum, and only see negative comments on the price and condition of a car for sale, are we not also devaluing the potential sale price of our own cars and others that come on the market. We, the conversant, should be more positive, than negative in our comments.
    Surely it is the purchasers problem to decide whether the car is worthy of the asking price, and not our position to suggest they spent too much money. Is that not an automatic way to put people off joining the club, "You spent that much for that? You have been ripped off!" Is hardly a welcome to a friendly club.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      Sometimes I do think that members here are often not very kind to unknown vendors on eBay, pistonheads etc.
      A vendors job is to get the best price he can for the car, not the least! If prospective purchasers, and not all do, look at the MOC forum, and only see negative comments on the price and condition of a car for sale, are we not also devaluing the potential sale price of our own cars and others that come on the market. We, the conversant, should be more positive, than negative in our comments.
      Surely it is the purchasers problem to decide whether the car is worthy of the asking price, and not our position to suggest they spent too much money. Is that not an automatic way to put people off joining the club, "You spent that much for that? You have been ripped off!" Is hardly a welcome to a friendly club.
      But in my going to look at this car and some others he was selling I judged that they were overprice and not in good condition. [an NG he had for sale was lovely but the 1800 engine is not for me] I owned a garage repairing Jaguars Rolls Royces and Aston Martins so my judgment should be good, so maybe my post will stop a member from wasting his time viewing the car? Before buying my Marlin Hunter I viewed other Marlins and discounted them for price/condition or both. I realised that a Berly wasnt for me after visiting one for sale in Cumbria, but went down to beyond Truro to purchase the Hunter, because Danny from this forum told me it was a good car, and worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
        But in my going to look at this car and some others he was selling I judged that they were overprice and not in good condition. [an NG he had for sale was lovely but the 1800 engine is not for me] I owned a garage repairing Jaguars Rolls Royces and Aston Martins so my judgment should be good, so maybe my post will stop a member from wasting his time viewing the car? Before buying my Marlin Hunter I viewed other Marlins and discounted them for price/condition or both. I realised that a Berly wasnt for me after visiting one for sale in Cumbria, but went down to beyond Truro to purchase the Hunter, because Danny from this forum told me it was a good car, and worth the money.
        My comment was not directed at any specific individual, but echoing the post made by Mike.

Many of the critics in other 'for sale' posts have not seen the cars in the flesh.

In this case, looking at the other items the same vendor listed on eBay, he was a bit of a collector, so a look around probably resulted in a better overall opinion than one given by a series of photos.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I was offered this Berly a short time ago, and had it on my list of cars available, the owners asking price was £3k or nearest. I could go on, but enough said George can of course ask what ever figure he decides. There have been better examples available at around £2750.

Comment

Looking for a classic Marlin? Find your perfect car on ClassicCarsforSale.co.uk, the UK's best marketplace for buyers and traders.

This shows how variable prices can be

Comment

As a builder I think that Marlins are always under-priced. Buying the chassis, bodywork, engine, running gear and adding hours and hours of labour should result in a very high value for a bespoke vehicle.

But a Marlin might have been built by the best engineer in the world but probably wasn’t. If there’s one thing markets hate its uncertainty. I am told this all the time so it must be true.

There is also a perception that kit cars are cheap to build.

As with many things if you do it as a hobby you can expect to pay. Only a few will be able to make money at it.

Comment

Completely agree with the above which is why I decided on a Hunter rather than a Berly [that and they are wider inside].
                The Hunter is the 3rd kit/real car I have owned. The 1st was a Dutton Phaeton, the second was a factory built Clan from NI. The two factory built cars are better by far than the Dutton even after many hours of upgrading by myself.
                The Berly's I went to view all had fairly high price tags but left a lot to be desired in fit, finish and build quality, so I talked to Danny and purchased something better.

Comment

Having another try: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARLIN-2-0...p2056016.l4276

Classified ad price £7,695.

Comment

George is a dreamer to say the least

Comment

Sorry, I think you will find he was discussing the Jag on that point......
                      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

He got it right when he described it as special..... unfortunately its just the wrong kind of special.....
                        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Working...
                        X