Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5exi getting some TLC

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
    ooh yes lovely. Can i ask a question? Why does the upper wishbone have a bit of tube sticking out before the wishbone itself is welded on? Do you understand what I mean? It looks like a weak spot in design to me? Im sure an engineer will be along in aminute to point out why it's like that.

[ATTACH]9275[/ATTACH]
    More than one person has commented on the design of the 5exi wishbones and back in 2009 Marlin had a recall does anyone know what
    the reason was. I trust these on Leadfoots car are later reliable examples.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The recall was on the Sportster lower wishbone but these look similar. Pics show the breakage and the modification
      Attached Files

Comment

I believe the issue on the 5exi was where the top tie rod end threaded insert was met with the adjoining pipe. On my front suspension, the two top pipes meet to create an "A-frame" right where the threaded insert is.
        On the failed items, one of pipes met further up (more like a Y type shape) and hence wasn't as strong at the threaded insert portion (Probably not doing too good a job explaining that I know...). Might get a chance to check up on it and draw a picture later.

I've also welded in a fillet on the top wishbone where the two pipes meet for added strength. You can see this clearly in the picture of the reconditioned front wishbone assembly.

Comment

Just to put a final bit of history to this story, this was posted on Madabout in Sept 2009

To all EXi owners

It has come to our attention that a 2nd EXi top rear suspension arm has failed. It is then prudent for me to request that all suspension arms are either retuned to me for inspection and replacement (if deemed necessary) or that very clear and distinct photographs be sent so that I may satisfy myself that no general design/fabrication problem exists.

To clarify: Through the period of production there have been some minor variations in assembly. These differences in assembly have not apparently been a problem except in these two specific circumstances and I can not be sure that this has not come about because the builders chose to substitute Marlin parts when constructing their EXi’s and that these other parts may have had a degree of responsibility for the parts failure.

I would also like to mention that the EXi suspension & hub components are in their 3rd and 4th generation of development and improvement. The suspension package that is now fitted and sold in the standard EXi kit has been independently confirmed to be better than (and a lot more cost effective) than those supplied by some suspension design companies.
          The standard of workmanship fabrication and welding is also of the highest standard.

Do bear in mind that the EXi has proven to be capable of better than 1.10’s at Castle Combe and that all newly race designed suspension components are retro-fitable even to the earliest T5 chassis and very competitively priced.

As with all work of this type you will be expected to cover all reasonable wear & tear and carriage costs before parts will be returned to you.

Enthusiastic Regards
          Mark and Terry Matthews
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
            Just to put a final bit of history to this story, this was posted on Madabout in Sept 2009

To all EXi owners

It has come to our attention that a 2nd EXi top rear suspension arm has failed. It is then prudent for me to request that all suspension arms are either retuned to me for inspection and replacement (if deemed necessary) or that very clear and distinct photographs be sent so that I may satisfy myself that no general design/fabrication problem exists.

To clarify: Through the period of production there have been some minor variations in assembly. These differences in assembly have not apparently been a problem except in these two specific circumstances and I can not be sure that this has not come about because the builders chose to substitute Marlin parts when constructing their EXi’s and that these other parts may have had a degree of responsibility for the parts failure.

I would also like to mention that the EXi suspension & hub components are in their 3rd and 4th generation of development and improvement. The suspension package that is now fitted and sold in the standard EXi kit has been independently confirmed to be better than (and a lot more cost effective) than those supplied by some suspension design companies.
            The standard of workmanship fabrication and welding is also of the highest standard.

Do bear in mind that the EXi has proven to be capable of better than 1.10’s at Castle Combe and that all newly race designed suspension components are retro-fitable even to the earliest T5 chassis and very competitively priced.

As with all work of this type you will be expected to cover all reasonable wear & tear and carriage costs before parts will be returned to you.

Enthusiastic Regards
            Mark and Terry Matthews

Hi, this is my top rear wishbone.2017-10-27 09.43.56.jpg
            Versus the one that failed. Courtesy of Madabout. DSC02921.jpg
            So I think I'm Ok.

I've been making mods to the front and rear suspension. Mainly front i.e.
            Front_Wishbone_Mods_NotToScale2.jpg
            Front_Wishbone_Mods_NotToScale3.jpg

Comment

Ouch! My bottom rear wishbone is of a similar design to your original. Although I'm not aware of any issues on the 5exi.20170613_213924.jpg
              Sorry, meant to tag h_m_Cummings post for relevance.
              Last edited by leadfoot; 27-10-17, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Hiya,

I wouldn't worry about the bottom wishbones - mine are 11 years old now (18k miles) and no issues - and that includes trackdays with sticky tyres.

However, you do need to modify your rear top wishbone toe control links - you have the original design that causes massive bumpsteer and truly arse twitching moments when driving. To see just how much bumpsteer take the rear shockabsorber off, strap a straight edge to the hub and move the suspension up and down - you will get about an inch of bump steer from full suspension travel. All because the pivot centres of the top hub joint and toe arm are at different heights. Poor design! Several ways to fix it - modified suspension from Marlin, Track Developments or DIY as I did on mine (the picture of the broken wishbone you have posted shows the modified rose jointed toe arm. Madabout has my original link to the mod if you want to go DIY; quite a few people have already. http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=1829

Cheers

Rich
                Last edited by bigrich; 27-10-17, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrich View Post
                  Hiya,

I wouldn't worry about the bottom wishbones - mine are 11 years old now (18k miles) and no issues - and that includes trackdays with sticky tyres.

However, you do need to modify your rear top wishbone toe control links - you have the original design that causes massive bumpsteer and truly arse twitching moments when driving. To see just how much bumpsteer take the rear shockabsorber off, strap a straight edge to the hub and move the suspension up and down - you will get about an inch of bump steer from full suspension travel. All because the pivot centres of the top hub joint and toe arm are at different heights. Poor design! Several ways to fix it - modified suspension from Marlin, Track Developments or DIY as I did on mine (the picture of the broken wishbone you have posted shows the modified rose jointed toe arm. Madabout has my original link to the mod if you want to go DIY; quite a few people have already. http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=1829

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich. Provides peace of mind Re: rear suspension.

Interesting link to the thread on the bumpsteer and bracing required to sort the inherent handling issues out. Wish I could say I've had a chance to find this out for myself!
                  Am in the throes of getting the rebuild finished and the car back on the road. The car sat on its tyres for the first time in months last night, so going to DIY the alignment next. I will take your advice and visit the toe links but the work will have to be done another time.
                  My main goal is just to get it driving, then I can do mods later.
                  Hopefully I'll get to Stoneleigh in it next year and we'll have a chat if you're there.
                  Again thanks!

Comment

It would be great to see you there next May- no reason you can't be finished by then . Interstingly my brother drove your car when it was for sale a few years ago, but never went for it.

Reference the toe links...I really would sort these out before you drive it...the handling can be seriously scary if you don't...and I'd hate for you to stack it having spent all the time and effort doing the refurb!!

The full write up of what I used including supplier of the ball joints is on madabout somewhere

Oh - out of interest how is your fibreglass? My bodywork (orange) is starting to show black shadows in places through the gelcoat... yours is a similar age so I wondered if it was suffering the same?

Cheers, Rich

Comment

Originally posted by bigrich View Post
                      It would be great to see you there next May- no reason you can't be finished by then . Interstingly my brother drove your car when it was for sale a few years ago, but never went for it.

Reference the toe links...I really would sort these out before you drive it...the handling can be seriously scary if you don't...and I'd hate for you to stack it having spent all the time and effort doing the refurb!!

The full write up of what I used including supplier of the ball joints is on madabout somewhere

Oh - out of interest how is your fibreglass? My bodywork (orange) is starting to show black shadows in places through the gelcoat... yours is a similar age so I wondered if it was suffering the same?

Cheers, Rich
                      Hi Rich, been to Stoneleigh many times but never in a Kitcar. It's almost become a bucket list item..! As long as I can get there, even if it means driving crabbed at 30mph, then I will. Hopefully, the links will be long done but I have a house move on the cards and I've no idea what that is going to do to my build timetable.

Regarding the gelcoat, mines in bad shape. Dark shadows all over. However, thinking that the gelcoat might be 1mm thick at least, I sanded for quite some time and then polished out the scratches to reveal the inner beauty. This was only done on a test patch and therefore I've still got the rest to do.
                      5EXI_RearAfterLightPolish.jpg

Comment

that'll do nicely!!

Comment

Had my first ever attempt at recovering a dash. Quite pleased with the outcome!
                          Before prep and after.20160716_123954.jpg20171119_184805-1.jpg

Comment

That’s something special, first attempt or not!
                            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Leadfoot, Is this a follow-up article for Pitstop in the making? The re-furbished dash certainly looks good. Ed

Comment

I painted the dash with black flat acrylic paint against sunreflection
                                but what you did is much better!

[
                                Last edited by exionman; 19-11-17, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X