Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Front GAZ Coilovers Part Number for a Cabrio?

I find the debate about rear springs very interesting. There is no doubt that the standard Sierra rear springs will result in a firmer ride because of the lower Cabrio weight but wouldn't you expect a 'sports' car (if that's what the Cabrio is supposed to be) to have a firmer ride than a family saloon car to give flatter cornering if nothing else. Obviously you don't want the springs so hard that the rear of the car bounces around and starts shattering the vertebrae of us 'older' drivers but I find the spring rates about right for me. Out of interest, anyone know if the old XR4i had harder springs that the standard cars.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
      I find the debate about rear springs very interesting. There is no doubt that the standard Sierra rear springs will result in a firmer ride because of the lower Cabrio weight but wouldn't you expect a 'sports' car (if that's what the Cabrio is supposed to be) to have a firmer ride than a family saloon car to give flatter cornering if nothing else. Obviously you don't want the springs so hard that the rear of the car bounces around and starts shattering the vertebrae of us 'older' drivers but I find the spring rates about right for me. Out of interest, anyone know if the old XR4i had harder springs that the standard cars.
      A long time ago I fitted a lowering kit to my 2.0GL Sierra. It had Boge gas dampers and progressive springs and transformed the handling on that car. I think the RS Cosworth had similar springs. But I am sure that if you fitted those springs on a Cabrio it would be extremely choppy. It seems that we want the best of all worlds by expecting a soft ride but when laden not too much spring compression to avoid grounding. Maybe a lower rated but progressive spring would be the answer, with adjustable gas dampers. However my guess is that, if only for the sake of our bank balances, we need to live with the existing springs and just pack less luggage (and tools)!

With 205x55R16 Toyo Proxes T1R tyres on 6 ½” rims and GAZ all round set at about 4 or 5 clicks I normally run with all tyres at 18psi which gives a comfortable ride and grips like a limpet. For a long run, with two up and luggage, I go up to 20psi. I used to run at 20psi all round all the time but noticed that the centre of the rear tread was wearing a bit more than the centre, which is a good indicator of over inflation.

Meanwhile back on topic, my new coilovers and springs were in stock at Dampertech and are due to arrive tomorrow. Hooray! It’s going to be a busy weekend. Peter.

Comment

However if you really want to experiment have a look at the following:

I like the idea of an air helper inside the existing spring plus an on board compressor (you could mount it under the rear!) and dial-a-ride convenience from the driving seat!

I really need to get out more! Peter.

Comment

Why not go for the full "Low rider" thing. Even if your wheels might drop off.
          LowRidingTV.com presents a collection of the most amazing "car dances."

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
            The problem is if springs are to hard they dont allow the tyres to follow the road undulations and the car can skip in corners which mine is doing, this makes for poor handling not good handling. I fancy progressive springs because they give a nice compliant ride but if you push the car in corners they meet the harder part of the spring if that makes sense

Comment

Just looked through my build documentation. Marlin suppiled GAZ shockers with a dynamometer graph. The title is for shock model: GPG-1168* I don't know if this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
                Just looked through my build documentation. Marlin suppiled GAZ shockers with a dynamometer graph. The title is for shock model: GPG-1168* I don't know if this helps.
                That's interesting Chris as it looks suspiciously like the number on my old ones! Unfortunately it is not a recognised number now. Dave at Dampertech says that GAZ tended to put odd numbers on specials but they don’t seem to have bothered to record them on their system!

Meantime my new coilovers and springs have arrived. They were an off the shelf model from Dampertech so 24hour delivery! I am working on fitting them tomorrow if possible. Then the joy of getting the ride height set correctly all over again!

Will update the post when I have time. Interestingly GAZ have improved the design of the lower body-to-bush weld area which gives an extra ½” of downward (bump) piston travel with the same original total length across the fixing holes! Peter.

Comment

Both GAZ coilovers now fitted and looking good. Now need to set the ride height, torque up the fixing bolts and adjust the valve clicks. Photos and data update to follow once it's all finalised. While it was up on blocks I have changed the oil in the diff, gearbox and engine plus new filter. Can't wait to drive it again! Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                    Both GAZ coilovers now fitted and looking good. Now need to set the ride height, torque up the fixing bolts and adjust the valve clicks. Photos and data update to follow once it's all finalised. While it was up on blocks I have changed the oil in the diff, gearbox and engine plus new filter. Can't wait to drive it again! Peter.
                    Have you gone for the same duty of springs or harder or softer springs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Have you gone for the same duty of springs or harder or softer springs?
                      I sent my old 8.5” spring to Dampertech and their test rig gave it a reading of 200 lb/inch, with 210 absolute max. I bought 9” x 225lb inch ones as my old ones were wound up pretty high.

I have just finished setting it all up today and so I am just about to sink a couple of beers! I will try to update my coilover post (data) in the next 24hrs which should hopefully answer a few questions for everybody. Peter.

Comment

I spent today fine tuning the front ride height to get the steering arms level. Then found that having shimmed the rear hubs recently to get the rear camber and toe error sorted the front toe had changed so the rest of the day was spent getting that right. Front toe is now back to the usual 0.5mm toe in each side. Final rear toe is now 1mm toe on both sides. Final rear camber is now minus 1 deg both sides which all suits me fine. Tomorow after a celebration drive I will try to post the final coilover data and some photos. Peter.
                        Last edited by greyV8pete; 07-09-16, 08:17 AM. Reason: spillong!

Comment

Working...
                        X