Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me.. or do all Marlin restorers go through this...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it just me.. or do all Marlin restorers go through this...?

It's great to hear you're enjoying your Hunter David and good to see the photo of it. I'm afraid I can't sit by and not make a small correction to your posting though! The photo was actually taken at Burnham On Sea (my home town) and not Weston Super Mare which was the next stop on the route. Burnham's Pier is the shortest in Britain and the new extension (the bit on the left) has a retractable roof to cope with ever changing weather that comes up the Bristol Channel!! It was a shame I couldn't join you on the day.

My Roadster continues to have problems with a broken speedo (cable?), a mysterious juddering and clanking when pulling away from rest and brakes which pull to the left. I'm currently trying to find a local mechanic who's willing to sort it out as the previous one seems to have lost interest. I must admit that even though I love my Marlin when it's going well, I do wonder whether kit cars are really only suitable for people with mechanical skills, suitable tools and a workshop. If like me, you have to take the car somewhere each time something else needs to be fixed, it soon gets very expensive. Perhaps I should upgrade to a Hunter too???

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
      Jayne and myself love out Hunter it is a lovely car the 2.3 engine pulls like a train, it crashes a bit over bumps so I will look at softer springing this winter. I like the fact that it is very comfy with great heater and a hood that works just wish it was the LWB version but beggars cant be choosers
      Peter

My understanding is that Cabrios/Hunters use Sierra springs which are the same across all models except estates and Cosworths - so given you have a factory supplied Hunter yours should be standard.
      You may find a softer shock absorber will solve your problem?

I have started to drive my Cabrio and have found changing the settings on the GAZ adjustables down to just 2 clicks (out of 20 at its hardest) has made the ride so much nicer. (- I must have stopped in every lay-by on the A50 between Stoke and Derby on our way back from Tatton Park changing the settings until we found a supple, non bouncey ride!).

Do you have adjustable shock absorbers? - if not I suspect yours are too stiff........... if you do have adjustable units, the solution is very easy - lower the setting until you find a ride that you are happy with.

Mike

Comment

Many thanks Paul for correcting my posting. Can I put it down to old age, a senior moment or "losing it".
        Sorry to hear of your problems, I think any kit car requires work, whatever the model. When we think back to the age of the various components, in my Roadster a 1968 engine & gearbox, problems do occur, especially as quite often they are being driven harder than what they were designed for. David.

Comment

Yup . Mine was a rescue that was almost a rebuild, Check out 'From where I was to where I am now' catchy title! In Pitstops. If you want reliability comfort smooth running and a boring life buy a buy a modern tin box.

Comment

Working...
          X