Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

I don't think this bush, fitted whilst retaining the original, will restrict the turning circle. On mine the new bush is deep enough in the casing to accommodate the ball housing locknut which enters the rack casing on full lock.
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
      I don't think this bush, fitted whilst retaining the original, will restrict the turning circle. On mine the new bush is deep enough in the casing to accommodate the ball housing locknut which enters the rack casing on full lock.
      This is one of the fundamental questions that I can't answer.
      If you read my document describing the difference between Mk1 and Mk2 racks, the obvious difference is the mountings, 1/4" difference in length is negligible with regards to tie rod ends, but may be relevant to turning circle etc.
      External mounts apart, there may be internal differences that I have not identified as I have outlined.
      What I find difficult to rationalise is that a small screw holding the offending bush in place is so critical.
      Time will tell.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I don't profess to know the difference in the racks but the position of the bush on the rack below is different to mine and would restrict lock.
        Attached Files
        Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidon View Post
          I don't profess to know the difference in the racks but the position of the bush on the rack below is different to mine and would restrict lock.
          If you follow the link in my keepandshare, available several times in this thread, you will find my description of the Mk1 and Mk2 racks specifically as a rebuttal of advice given by others. The mountings are the indicator, and your photos and findings might be the key.
          Last edited by stevejgreen; 27-03-17, 04:26 PM.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

What a very interesting thread this has been and probably will continue to be. Sidon your efforts to show what you have done here is marvelous,.I have also been thinking along the lines of fabricating an end cap that would fit snug around the main shaft also covering the face of the Bush to stop it coming out and around the outer casing of the Rack and that held in place by the new screw,I am going to see what I can make from all the nick knacks I have lying around in my Caves !!,I am 69 now and clinging on to my lovely toys as long as I can and although I love them all I really enjoy tripping out in the Marlin to Queen and the Stones while out driving in the old thing.Love it .The thought of it being off the road due to a bit of plastic horrifies me !! **+=.Great club and a lorra very helpful people,I appreciate every ones efforts as I'm sure others do,regards to all.Graham.
            Last edited by old_n_notpastityet; 28-03-17, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Been experimenting with the Idea of putting a new bush in without taking the track rod end off.I am going to cut a new bush in half and place into the rack and then hold it in place by the screw in the top piece and my experimental end plate to hold in the bottom piece !.I have knocked up a bit of a prototype end plate which will fit over the end of the rack casing and around the rack shaft.This will then be held in place by the hose clip over the boot tightened around its 3 side pieces that sit onto the rack housing and under the rubber boot.I am willing to risk trying this method for ease of future fitting of a new bush.Nothing ventured eh !!.Hope the pictures work.
              Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried discussing your plans on the FastMarina forum?

There are many more people there who have successfully installed new bushes and your ideas could help far more people than are reached by this forum alone. Alternatively they may have reasons why they disagree with your approach.

Many minds etc.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  Have you tried discussing your plans on the FastMarina forum?

There are many more people there who have successfully installed new bushes and your ideas could help far more people than are reached by this forum alone. Alternatively they may have reasons why they disagree with your approach.

Many minds etc.
                  Thank's for the reply Steve,I was guessing I would get some feedback which is what I would like as there are more qualified people out there who may as you say disagree with the Idea,it is an experiment and I am very aware that it may not work as good as I may think.I will be cautious with regard to using the car after fitting a bush this way but I can do some steering off road and see how it performs.Your feedback is appreciated,regards.Graham.

Comment

That would restrict the lock on mine - the ball housing lock nut fits inside the rack casing on full lock. As you have the rack off, is it not now relatively simple to remove the track rod end then slide the complete bush into position and fix.

Comment

Originally posted by old_n_notpastityet View Post
                      Thank's for the reply Steve,I was guessing I would get some feedback which is what I would like as there are more qualified people out there who may as you say disagree with the Idea,it is an experiment and I am very aware that it may not work as good as I may think.I will be cautious with regard to using the car after fitting a bush this way but I can do some steering off road and see how it performs.Your feedback is appreciated,regards.Graham.
                      My suggestion was not to condemn your ideas but to broaden the potential response from the forum dedicated to Morris Marinas and Itals . After all it was that very forum that actually created the subject of bush replacement in the first place.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

MOT now passed.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                          My suggestion was not to condemn your ideas but to broaden the potential response from the forum dedicated to Morris Marinas and Itals . After all it was that very forum that actually created the subject of bush replacement in the first place.
                          No probs Steve,I did not think that at all.I appreciate all feedback,one Idea leads to others eh .regards to all.

Comment

I know there has been a lorra discussions about the racks but I am confused even more now about the numbers on different racks.As i mentioned before the one on my Roadster is marked 21H2457 which is supposed to be for MK11 & Ital 75 on and I did buy another rack as a spare only to find out later that there were different versions for the Marina and when I checked the spare I bought it had 21H5423 on that one..I did get some informative replies about that and the differences..But now I have come across another one for sale and I am informed the number on it is 21H6792 which is supposed to be for a Marina MK2 10/75 to 10/80 and Ital MK2 1980/84.I thought there were only two different versions ??.The plot thickens.Bet somebody out there knows something..P.S. I got some new bushes off Chris Weedon after reading the posts on here about the rack problems..
                            It seems that the rack on my Roadster 21H2457 is the very odd one out here.It's not even mentione in Stevejgreens info post on the differences ???.
                            Very confused
                            Last edited by old_n_notpastityet; 19-05-17, 07:43 PM.

Comment

That's a new one on me. Can you post pictures or email to me please, [email protected] not listed in Pitstop.

The significant difference between the two racks that I identified was always in the mounting method, that seemed to be a bit of cost reduction engineering, the change in length I put down to the change from Crossply to Radial tyres and turning circles etc.

Any knowledge that fills gaps is good knowledge.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

The rack mentioned is listed on E-Bay.Item number 162514589449.I asked the seller what markings were on it as I was interested in buying it and he messaged me saying it was marked with 21H6792
                                Last edited by old_n_notpastityet; 20-05-17, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X