Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shock absorber id & bush source

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
    I cut the head off the bolt, pushed it through and put a new one in the right way round. Easy with my favourite tool, the angle grinder with a 'plasma' very thin cutting disk.
    My favourite tool too - they are called slitting discs and cost around £1 each (less if you buy a pack) on ebay.

With one of these there will never be anything you can't face cutting off due to the effort - it becomes so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by element View Post
      Hmmm... That sounds like a feasible plan; just need to source a few bolts first. as it happened, my wife gave me other matters to attend to this afternoon instead of the car... So it's untouched atm. I'll look at the idea, I have a small angle grinder, it might be possible
      I have found Namrick very good for nuts and bolts. They do all sorts including High Tensile stuff and have always given me next day delivery service. Peter.

www.namrick.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for these tips - I'll be ordering some of these slitting discs tonight; never knew they existed so thin (1mm!!!) and that namrick site is a real find - I've bookmarked it as I know I will be using it one day...

Comment

The update...

It turned out that I couldn't use the angle grinder & slitting disc to cut the bolt free because there was insufficient room to get a clean cut. So instead I went the long way round & removed 14 other nuts & bolts to free the shock absorber top support bolt. Having done so I was surprised to find the bush was intact and certainly not really worn at all. So where was the rattle coming from & why was there so much 'play'..? - It was the play between the support M12 bolt & the steel sleeve that runs through the bush.

The support bolt is clearly worn but the sleeve more so and there's definitely too much freedom for the bolt in the sleeve. So I need a new sleeve - having already got new M12 bolts. Even a new bolt with the old sleeve has too much play.

Here, you can see the sleeve protruding either side of the bush. It's 38mm long & it was supposed to have an inner diameter of 12mm; to allow the 11.75mm bolt to be a snug fit.

So I am now hunting for something like this:

but in an M12 size: inner diameter 12mm, outer diameter 16mm, length 38mm (give or take). Shouldn't be too hard to find... There is a guy on Ebay selling exactly this size but he's away atm, so looking elsewhere...

The irony is that we have a metal lathe here but its out of action atm due to having recently moved and not having a bench yet built for it... The guy on ebay mills them to order, looks like the only option atm though...
          Last edited by element; 25-09-16, 08:40 PM.

Comment

You could try this guy....

Supplying Haynes Roadster Kit Car Parts to Kit Builders, Rally Enthusiasts, Off Roaders, Buggy Builders and the like. Custom Sizes Made to Order.

Also check that your original bush was not designed for a 1/2" bolt?

Comment

If the collar is OK, why not source a 1/2" bolt instead (=12.7mm)?
              Chances are the collar was originally designed for an imperial bolt..................
              Simple easy solution?

Mike

PS
              If this doesn't work, for whatever reason, I have used the Latheman - his quality is good, and his prices are unbelievably cheap for one off items.

Mike

The update...

It turned out that I couldn't use the angle grinder & slitting disc to cut the bolt free because there was insufficient room to get a clean cut. So instead I went the long way round & removed 14 other nuts & bolts to free the shock absorber top support bolt. Having done so I was surprised to find the bush was intact and certainly not really worn at all. So where was the rattle coming from & why was there so much 'play'..? - It was the play between the support M12 bolt & the steel sleeve that runs through the bush.

The support bolt is clearly worn but the sleeve more so and there's definitely too much freedom for the bolt in the sleeve. So I need a new sleeve - having already got new M12 bolts. Even a new bolt with the old sleeve has too much play.

Here, you can see the sleeve protruding either side of the bush. It's 38mm long & it was supposed to have an inner diameter of 12mm; to allow the 11.75mm bolt to be a snug fit.

So I am now hunting for something like this:

but in an M12 size: inner diameter 12mm, outer diameter 16mm, length 38mm (give or take). Shouldn't be too hard to find... There is a guy on Ebay selling exactly this size but he's away atm, so looking elsewhere...

The irony is that we have a metal lathe here but its out of action atm due to having recently moved and not having a bench yet built for it... The guy on ebay mills them to order, looks like the only option atm though...

Comment

Mike could be onto something here. The screw threads on a car the age of a Triumph/Marina/Marlin should all be Imperial.
                Some metric threads are a near miss.
                If bolts are slack in their mounting it could just be that you have a mix and match of standards.
                Measure twice, check the thread pitch carefully if you can.

Comment

The sleeve is definitely worn; looking end on, you can see its almost ovular (is that a word ) last night I found someone selling a 20cm tube of the right M12 stuff so ordered it, I'll cut it to size. New M12 bolt should be a good fit for it & I'll pack it with grease too. The nut that came off the original bolt fitted the new M12 bolt. It might well be that the sleeve was imperial & the orignal bolt was metric. If the bolt was imperial or UNF then it was a pretty good match; no matter now as I'll be using new bolt and new sleeve so it should be ok.

Comment

Are you sure the bush is intended to rotate around the bolt? Should it be clamped in place and rely on the rubber for movement.
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                      Are you sure the bush is intended to rotate around the bolt? Should it be clamped in place and rely on the rubber for movement.
                      Paul
                      The bush sits tight in the eye of the shock, the sleeve is also a tight fit in the bush. The only option of movement is the bolt within the sleeve. The 'vertical shock' of bumps etc is probably mostly absorbed by the dampers but the rubber bush probably accounts for some of it. One end of the sleeve looked almost normal (rearward end) but the other was pretty worn - as I said it looked ovular where the bolt had been wearing at it. If, with a new bolt & sleeve, I get a nice snug fit and I pack it with grease, it should be a lot quieter.. I let you know later this week when the sleeve arrives & I cut & fit it. The 200mm tube I have bought will cover enough to do all 4 front sleeves so I'll probably do them all.

Comment

Bolt should be imperial to fit the mounting ears as well as the bush. The bush should be clamped tight between fixing ears. Rubber should flex as the shock absorber moves. Supaflex works slightly differently as although bush is still clamped tight the Supaflex is designed to rotate around it. Peter.

Comment

Fixed. No more shock rattle. I bought some steel sleeve of 2mm wall thickness, 12mm id & 16mm od & cut it to length. Also got new M12 bolts & cut them to size. Nice tight fit between the bolt & sleeve, packed with grease and reassembled all. 16 nut & bolts to undo to free the shock top bolt.. same 16 to refit afterwards. I used nyloc nuts to replace the old spring washer & standard nut (which, if imperial - it was very close because it went fine onto the new m12 bolts...). So that job is done but the alternator belt is screeching away again.. Have to hunt for a slightly smaller belt to get it to fit tight; the 850 one is just too loose when the arm is at max extension. Does anyone know where I can get maybe an 840 x 10mm belt? Tony

Comment

Does anyone know where I can get maybe an 840 x 10mm belt? Tony
                            They certainly exist - a quick google found this site selling them:

Z33 = 838mm
                            Last edited by Mike; 05-10-16, 07:06 PM.

Comment

A Good motor factors should be able to identify and supply it. A lot of accessory shops can or will only look for make/model /reg number. ' Computer he say no'!

Comment

Thanks Mike, this page will get me a better fitting belt & at these prices I can afford to buy two different sizes and virtually guarantee the right one between them..

Comment

Working...
                                X