BMW warning lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW warning lights

I have moved this from general chat perhaps someone may have an answer.

I know there is a few BMW techno phoebes out there so here goes.

An E46 320 been left parked for a couple of months and the battery went completely flat.( not surprising that really)

Recharged the battery and got the car going but all the brake warning and abs lights etc are staying on. Any clues on what to do please.

Thanks Ben

Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: BMW warning lights

I had a 316 in the '80's, left parked on roadside overnight with one side parking lights on , the battery was always flat in the morning , fortunately parked on a slight incline so always managed to bump start the b***ard thing!!!

Comment

get an audi? Just teasing I know you love them really! Its likely an ABS sensor fault

Comment

Its not mine its a mates.

My car did the honourable thing and died at the dealers and cost me £800 for a new display unit and a final service bill 0f £2,700 which was more than the car is worth.

Comment

Is it a donor vehicle?

Comment

No its a2001 saloon on the road

Comment

Hi Ben,
              you can get a code reader and reset tool from a company called Peake Research. You need to check the diagnostic plug on the car to make sure you get the right version; see their website for what to check. It's a US company but they often come up on ebay UK as used items. Expect to pay about £100 for a second hand one.
              I have one for a 1995 car and it works brilliantly. Probably a lot less than a main dealer will charge for a reset only.

If you are having the dashboard light up with multiple warning lights then my hunch is the 'dud' battery has killed your alternator but first get the codes deleted and see what comes up again when you run the engine.
              cheers, Peter

Here's a link to their website http://www.peakeresearch.com/
              Last edited by Peterx; 19-10-16, 07:31 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Hi Ben,
                Too late now however,
                I bought one of these last year - Super Mini OBD2 ELM327 V2.1 Bluetooth Car Scanner Android Torque Auto Scan Tool for £5 on eBay after watching a YouTube video.
                Used it on my son's old Golf blue tooths to a phone app, worked great but you need to check the car is OBD2 (on board diagnostics)
                I have also have on of the dedicated units that was about £50. You can leave the cheap one in the glove box as part of your breakdown kit.

Graham

Comment

Thanks for the help in the end the car went to a garage for the code reader. But previously the owner had gone through pulling all the fuses in an attempt to find the fault (he is a TV engineer not a car buff) When the code reader was connected there was a list as long as your arm. After a reset and road test it turned out to be a brake sensor and an argument with the garage over the cost to do the job. I'm not involved in fixing it thank goodness.

Comment

Working...
                  X