Cardinal sin - if you get called away, make a note of where you were at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinal sin - if you get called away, make a note of where you were at

(Sierra 2.0 dohc efi) I took the submersible fuel pump out of the tank this morning ready to change it out and then got distracted for a couple of hours on a family matter and when I got back to it I couldn't remember what one of the components was, where it fitted and what its orientation was. Hopefully from the photo someone will be able to tell me what the highlighted part is, whether it slides onto the supply or return and if its orientation is important.

fuelpump.jpg

Re: Cardinal sin - if you get called away, make a note of where you were at

No idea what that component is, but it sits between the pump and the outlet pipe.

Granada Fuel lifter pump by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Let me know if you need more photo's and work out what it does!

Comment

I would guess at a fuel pressure regulator, on sierras with an external pump the regulator is immediately after the pump. This unit with its two domed chambers looks as if it is both regulator and non return valve. Phil.

Comment

Thanks guys. If it is a regulator and non return valve then I am guessing the orientation is very important. could you get the camera close enough to take a photo of the side of it? Mine has X 0980 stamped into the plastic

Comment

I'll take some more shots tomorrow......
          In the meantime, if you look at the plastic cut out in the side, you can see it is closer to one end than the other which should show you which way round it is fitted?

Comment

It's called a fuel pulse regulator, basically stops the to-ing and fro-ing of the fuel when it hits a closed injector. The fuel has 3 bars of pressure hits the closed injectors and sets up a shock wave, this bounces back down the line to the pump, or would do if it wasn't for this little gadget that smooths the shock wave out, hence the two domes. Now you can brag about this down the pub and amaze/bore people with your new found knowledge. Phil.

I should add of course that the shock waves happen at the same speed as the engine revs, I tend to think of efi as one revolution at a time, it is easier to understand.
            Last edited by philcoyle; 20-10-16, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil,
              thanks for the explanation. So do you think the pump below it is a high pressure fuel pump? I had assumed it was a lifter pump feeding an external HP pump.
              Keith,
              Sorry for hijacking your question but just out of interest , does your car have a separate HP pump or is this the only one?

Comment

My pump is a ford puma 2ltr in tank unit, nothing else, the jampot sierra filter is fitted a few inches from the fuel rail, acting as a swirlpot. The pump is high pressure 5 bar max at ignition only, and 3 bar engine running . One word of caution CHECK where your fuel regulator is AND how many. If your regulator is on the engine (return line) make sure there is not one in the tank unit, if there is, remove the in tank regulator,you only need one on the return line. Having two will put too much strain on the pump motor. Can't tell what the set up is from here, but usually a two pump set up has a LP gravity fed from the bottom of the tank, and that feeds the swirlpot and HP. In tank units are mostly singular HP, to the filter, fuel rail, pressure regulator, return to tank. Phil.
                Last edited by philcoyle; 20-10-16, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Peter, my setup is as Phil describes in the last sentence of his post. All the mechanicals on my car are exactly Sierra GLS 2.0 (dohc efi) as I went to several auctions for written off cars and bought one that had been side swiped. I wanted the GLS because it has disc brakes all round.

Phil, do I take it that it can go either way around. The little tab that Peter referred to in his picture is offset the same amount on either side so if you turn it round it looks the same
                  Last edited by keith_h; 21-10-16, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I have not encountered this type of device before, but I will search my notes etc. and let you know. Phil

Comment

Well, part of the efi development is to keep moving on, most dampers are now on the end of the fuel rail, it doesn't seem to matter which way it fits as there are no seviceable parts. AC Delco FP30, FP29, FP27 are some part numbers and a firm called Dorman, part 55160. If in doubt replace with a new one, they range from £10 upwards on eBay, fuel pulse dampers, hundreds of them. Phil.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                        here's another shot of the side. No sign of any orientation mark.
                        Ford Fuel Pulse Regulator by marlinpeter, on Flickr

hope that helps,

Peter

Comment

Spot on ! Thanks
                          (numbers are the right way up reading from the base plate that everything hangs from)

Comment

Working...
                          X