Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear box woes "deux"

G'Day All
    I have a Marina based Roadster with a triumph based transmission that needs rebuilding and friends who drive MGB s have suggested that I do as they have and adapt a 5 speed Nissan-Toyota or European ford box as finding the triumph parts will be diffilcult.Has anybody any experience with putting one of these boxes in a marlin ?
    Thanks
    Michael

Re: Gear box woes "deux"

Lots of options in the US.
    The Rivergate conversion kit was quite popular at one stage, using a custom backplate to mate to a 280z gearbox.
    Moss also do a Ford Type 9 kit in the US, though the T9 is far less common in the US the kit includes (at a price!) a rebuilt box.
    There are also BW T5 conversions on offer.
    Or with the pound weak it might be cheaper to contact UK suppliers direct & have it shipped (e.g. Hi-Gear Engineering, who actually supply many other companies including Moss & Frontline)..!

I installed the Hi-Gear kit many moons ago & it was certainly an improvement of the standard Marina/Triumph 4 speed, though IMHO the gear change quality of the T9 is not great.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
      Lots of options in the US.
      The Rivergate conversion kit was quite popular at one stage, using a custom backplate to mate to a 280z gearbox.
      Moss also do a Ford Type 9 kit in the US, though the T9 is far less common in the US the kit includes (at a price!) a rebuilt box.
      There are also BW T5 conversions on offer.
      Or with the pound weak it might be cheaper to contact UK suppliers direct & have it shipped (e.g. Hi-Gear Engineering, who actually supply many other companies including Moss &
      Frontline)..!

I installed the Hi-Gear kit many moons ago & it was certainly an improvement of the standard Marina/Triumph 4 speed, though IMHO the gear change quality of the T9 is not great.
      Thanks for the info I will contact HI gear and see what they have

Comment

There is a slight drawback to the plans. You will have a Marina backplate, flywheel, clutch and starter motor, and the alternatives will require all MGB parts, or others, that are subtley different, so quite a collection.
        if you are contemplating importing from the UK, would it not be just as possible to talk to a Triumph gearbox restorer and get a new gearbox, less the overdrive, which appears to be ok, rebuilt in the UK to suit your spec, and then shipped to you in Canada. It could make the installation an great deal quicker and not involve transmission tunnel/carpet mods to relocate the gearshift, or change the prop shaft, and sourcing the necessary MGB parts.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Try Googling Triumph car clubs in Canada, quite a few to choose from.

Most of the parts of Triumph boxes are shared by quite a few models and there maybe someone who can help near you.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I think Steve's right even swapping a 4speed Ford box for a 5 speed took quite a while and I only had to fabricate a new mount and relocate the speedo cable.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hmmm!Thank you guys .I have found a spare gear box but no idea of it's conditions now I will take the good advice and contact some triumph clubs to find someone
              who can rebuild the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
                Hmmm!Thank you guys .I have found a spare gear box but no idea of it's conditions now I will take the good advice and contact some triumph clubs to find someone
                who can rebuild the unit.
                Caution. So far as I am aware only the 1500 Spit box has the correct matching ratio to suit a Marina 1800 input shaft that is longer than the standard Triumph input shaft.

The rest of the gearbox must be 1500 Spit, with whatever output shaft is required to match your overdrive.
                Marinas are rare in Canada and the US though they do exist, double check with the Triumph Clubs, even they may not have the knowledge.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                X