Bare chassis weight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare chassis weight ?

I am suffering from an acute shortage of space in the domestic garage at present (too many toys / untidy / other priorities to tiding up) but want to get my Roadster rolling chassis stripped down for a full rebuild.
    Quick idea this morning is complete dismantling (only rear axle / springs and front suspension / steering rack still attached) and put those components away in my lock-up whilst I clean and paint chassis under the carport.

Question is what is the rough weight of a bare Marina chassis ?

Thanks.

Paul H

Re: Bare chassis weight ?

The bare kit weighed 385lbs/175kg and I don't think the panels weighed that much so go from that figure and you won't be too far away.

But one must ask why unless its going on a roof rack.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

FWIW I've been able to (almost) lift the bare chassis of the two projects I've done. Certainly no problem to lift one end onto stands and then lift the other up........as long as the first stands don't tip LoL
      Good Luck Paul.......why not start a build diary of pics ?
      Rgds DC

Comment

I'm "Billy no mates" - or rather "Billy no mates who are any better than me in that we are old, decrepit and suffering with health issues including bad backs"
        That means I do everything myself and use various "devices" to provide the muscle I'm lacking. Engine crane, Hi-Lift pallet truck, electric hoist under carport, numerous different jacks and hydraulic rams, etc all allow me to carry on playing with my dirty, but heavy, toys.
        The bare Roadster chassis will need to be loaded onto my 8' x 4' flat bed trailer so I can take it to be shot blasted and primed for the rebuild. Knowing weight means I can now see that I'll have to be inventive in how I can load - tilt trailer, winch and wheel castors under the frame will probably do the job.
        Not much fun getting old - but shouldn't stop you enjoying yourself. Playtime isn't over until the final bell rings !

Comment

Getting old is bad, until you think about the alternative. Any day you wake up is good day. I am similar , old and a bit decrepit and without most of your gear but old and sneaky beats young and enthusiastic every time.

Comment

Added my 200Kg scale to engine crane and just found weight of SWB marina chassis with door blanking panels cut out is 105kg.
            FWIW the C of G is around 2" forward of the windscreen surround top rail.
            Next it's load onto my trailer !
            Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 31-10-16, 10:11 AM.

Comment

If you are really stuck and need a hand getting the chassis on the trailer I would be more than happy to help. Just a quick blast down the M6 for me.!
              Chris

Comment

Had the same thought the other day, happy to assist if possible also have a vehicle suitable for towing
                Regards
                Dave

Comment

RE the c of g, at Marlin they picked up the assembled kit by its windscreen frame to move them about.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                  X