Pinto engine alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pinto engine alternative

Reality check guys. He is going to look at a Berlinetta. Most likely Cortina axle etc so all this talk of BMW powered road rockets is far fetched. If indeed it is a Berlinetta.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
      Reality check guys. He is going to look at a Berlinetta. Most likely Cortina axle etc so all this talk of BMW powered road rockets is far fetched. If indeed it is a Berlinetta.
      Hi Scott
      You are quite right - I was working on the mistaken idea it was for a Cabrio.

Having said that Toby Holland has installed the BMW M50B25TU in his Berlinetta

This is my 1980s Marlin Berlinetta Kit Car, first used in the Noughties - originally built on Ford Cortina running gear, but has been converted to run a BMW ...

So it can certainly be achieved physically, though I have no idea what sort of power the Cortina rear axle and suspension is capable of handling?

Comment

Hi Mike, I could see everyone was thinking it was a Cabrio so I thought I should point out the mistake. However it was great to see the enthusiasm for the project.

Getting back to the original post, what would be an easy swap for the Pinto in a Berlinetta?

Comment

Thanks for the offer of the drive Mike.

So does the BMW engine and gearbox not fit in the berlinetta or is it the back axle that is the limiting factor?

From what I have read the cosworth 24v boa engine out of the Ford granada should fit the gearbox and with some simple tuning can be up around 220bhp.

Comment

Well Im having exactly the same thoughts. BUT, how does a motorcycle engine sound as an option?

Comment

The problem with bike engines is that they don't have enough torque for use in road cars. That's not to say it can't be done they are just not easy to live with on the road. I would go for the V6 or Zetec option. The V6 would sound better and be cheaper probably.
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
              X