This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window rear mirror falling off

A number of times I have had the rear view mirror which is stuck to the window screen falling off. Each time I have used various types of sticky pads which are supposed to do the job.
    I have been informed that the sun degrades the pad over time hence the mirror falls off, they suggest painting a patch on the outside of the screen over the pad to stop this, but the wipers will wipe this away in a short time.
    At the moment I have resorted to suction type of mirror, but that falls off as well.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated
    Stewart

Re: Window rear mirror falling off

DSCN4871 (2).JPG

Different option but it does work. Problem is fitting the tonneau cover !

Comment

Screwed mine to the screen roll bar. Still pops off the stalk if you hit it but the stalk stays. Chances of your head hitting it are nil if your strapped in.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Stewart,

I had the same problem a few of years back and was told the solution by a windscreen fitter. Firstly, you have to ensure that the base of the stem is perfectly flat and free from old sticky - hold it against the side of a bench grinder. Then you need to degrease the windscreen (meths) where you are going to fit the mirror and finally, once you have everything ready, work out how you can clamp the mirror in position for 24 hrs. You then need to ensure that both the stalk base and the windscreen are completely moisture free.

Before I talked to the windscreen chappy I asked a guy in Halfords why the pads came in packets of 2 and he said the first one usually fails !!??. I asked him if I could just buy the second one then and he was not sympathetic to my cause. Any way, the answer is

1 - scrupulously clean
        2 - perfectly flat
        3 - warm
        4 - something to hold it in position for 24 hrs

Touch wood, mine has now been in position for several years now and still holding good.

Keith
        Last edited by keith_h; 12-01-17, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by keith_h View Post
          Hi Stewart,

I had the same problem a few of years back and was told the solution by a windscreen fitter. Firstly, you have to ensure that the base of the stem is perfectly flat and free from old sticky - hold it against the side of a bench grinder. Then you need to degrease the windscreen (meths) where you are going to fit the mirror and finally, once you have everything ready, work out how you can clamp the mirror in position for 24 hrs. You then need to ensure that both the stalk base and the windscreen are completely moisture free.

Before I talked to the windscreen chappy I asked a guy in Halfords why the pads came in packets of 2 and he said the first one usually fails !!??. I asked him if I could just buy the second one then and he was not sympathetic to my cause. Any way, the answer is

1 - scrupulously clean
          2 - perfectly flat
          3 - warm
          4 - something to hold it in position for 24 hrs

Touch wood, mine has now been in position for several years now and still holding good.

Keith
          Totally agree - I had a broken screen replaced and received the same advice.
          I bought genuine Ford sticky pads to fit a Ford Fiesta mirror and it seems rock solid.

Comment

I don't really need a rear view mirror in the Roadster, everybodies in front of me!!!

Comment

Thanks for this, I am off to Ford to purchase a sticky pad.

Comment

I have been using the Halfords pads but they only last a few months, so taking Mikes solution getting new pads from Ford

Comment

Working...
                X