Well I'll be dashed.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I'll be dashed.........

As I am currently considering my options on what to replace my (leather clad) dashboard with, this is a general appeal to all owners of Marlins with a wooden dashboard asking that they can post a picture of what they have in theirs. Actually, lets also see what others have down with non-wood dashboards too, I'm open to alternatives.

I don't wish to plagarise what others have done however it will give me insight into whats involved in making this change and what layouts to consider that will enhance the car.

ATB

Wigs
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Re: Well I'll be dashed.........

Well here's mine.

Blank from europa and varnished all bare wood.

Dials from marina with chrome bezels off eBay

20160604_111827.jpg

Comment

Interesting, I do like to see a nicely polished burr....... thanks.
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

Comment

6953626789_754258561e_c.jpg

Cabrio dash and console
          - I always feel its important not to have straight lines in the dash - Marlins are all curves!
          Last edited by Mike; 13-01-17, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I agree re the curves, mine is also a Cabrio, an original factory LWB build I got from Danny last January. They just slapped on a cream padded leather dash that just doesn't suit the car (IMO). Mind you the cream carpets aren't all that practical either, so some extra thought needed there too.

Comment

I like to be unconventional !

Comment

Ah, the Berlinetta does benefit from a deeper dash.

Comment

Personally I am a curves man. I have changed the heater controls and a few other things in this Cabrio since this photo was taken. Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

One of the things that makes a dash look as if it’s part of a car is to have it curved to the form of the scuttle, as you won’t find many (if any ) production cars with a flat dashboard.
                    It makes the job much harder but with some basic woodworking/ fiberglass skills it shouldn’t be a problem. Have a look at Pitstop mag 181 pages 17 & 18 2014 in members section

IMG_1334.JPG
                    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Originally posted by wiggiesworld View Post
                      As I am currently considering my options on what to replace my (leather clad) dashboard with, this is a general appeal to all owners of Marlins with a wooden dashboard asking that they can post a picture of what they have in theirs. Actually, lets also see what others have down with non-wood dashboards too, I'm open to alternatives.

I don't wish to plagarise what others have done however it will give me insight into whats involved in making this change and what layouts to consider that will enhance the car.

ATB

Wigs
                      The photo gallery on the main web site has lots of dashboard photo;s.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/?s=dashboard

David.
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Thanks David, I didn't realise that. And also thanks to the guys above who've all added photo's. Loads of ideas (too many?) now......

Comment

DSC00541.JPGI guess we are all proud of what we have done. There are, however, some things for consideration that we learned along the way. I do not believe you should use solid wood in a vehicle that is likely to be exposed to the vagaries of UK weather. That is contentious, especially when deluxe vehicle brands use it but you can achieve a much stronger, thinner base on which to work by using a waterproof board and veneering it. You still have to use the right glue - I didn't and even after 6 coats of ext. varnish it still bubbled and cracked over the years. I veneered the reverse side with a cheaper (mahogany) veneer to make sure the dash stayed flat. I wired the dash up to a multi-plug so that it matched the multi plug on the Sierra harness so it is relatively easy to remove. Lastly, it might pay to sit in the car, stick a length of wall paper across the whole dash and using a marker pen mark up the areas that can easily be seen. That is where you need to fit your dials and warning lights
                          Last edited by keith_h; 16-01-17, 10:22 PM.

Comment

My topical tips: I started with a cardboard dash from which I made up an MDF template to check that the dials would fit and could be easily seen. I got caught out as there was insufficient clearance behind the speedo and I had to move it down. Not a problem with the MDF version. The SVA was passed with using this moc-up. But then I changed the steering wheel and couldn’t see the speedo and tacho. A second MDF version was made and used as a template to cut out the solid mahogany version. I really like the real wood of the dash and have enjoyed the subtle colour change over the years. That said my next dash is probably going to be plain plywood.
                            Paul
                            PS: I have seen padded leather dashboards and really liked them!

Comment

Padded dashes can look good in black leather, unfortunately when mine was built its had a cream leather interior with cream carpets....... and a cream leather padded dash....... now that carpets not going to wear well is it.... and it hasn't......

I intend to keep the seats and door card in cream leather (seats need recovering as very worn), the dash will be in wood and the carpets are under discussion but will no doubt be a contrasting colour that is more dirt resistant. Thats the current cunning plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X