Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Germany

Hello,
    I am Patrick from Germany and I would like to introduce myself to the Marlin Forum.

My wife bought a Marlin for me as a surprise to our wedding.
    I followed the Marlin for weeks on Ebay and looked at the photos every night.
    And then, all of a sudden, it was gone.
    My wife had bought it without telling me.
    And now it is here in the south of Germany.

Before the Marlin I had a Ford Mustang 1966 5.0 Coupe, which I completely restored 7 years ago.
    Attached are two pictures of the Mustang.
    Sadly, I had to sell the Mustang so that we could buy some land.

The Marlin was built in 1981 and is based on a Morris Ital. It has a 1.7L O-Series Engine and a 4 gear transmission.
    It is in good technical shape and has no rust. The optic is in need of improvment.
    At the moment, I read a lot about the technic of the Marlin and try to find out which donor cars the parts on my Marlin come from.

I have trouble with the german MOT in the moment, they want an emission certificate of a car with the 1.7L enginge
    which was sold in Germany. Without the certificate or a declaration from England that the Morris Ital 1.7 fulfills
    the ECE emission standards from 1981 the registration in Germany is extremly diffcult.
    I hope I can find a solution for this problem soon.
    If anyone can help on this issue I would be very grateful.

Regards from Germany,
    Patrick
    Attached Files

Re: Hello from Germany

Das ist ein wunderbarer Mustang!

Comment

There is very little data available for the emissions on a Marina O series 1.7 engine, the only data the Workshop Manual contains is 3% Co +/- 1% at idle speed. They were generally not designed to meet European or American legislation. The larger 2.0 O series engine is likely to be reasonably well documented as it had a much longer lifespan.
      The best suggestion I have is that you contact Chris Weedon at the Morris Marina Owners Club, he may be able to access information from export vehicle owners.

I believe there is a small amount of progress being made within the MOC to have the Roadster identified as a 'Classic' car. This might help.

Your registration plate with a W suffix suggests a vehicle from 1980/1981 so the original donor car is probably one of the first Itals, or one of the last Marinas. The mechanical components for the two cars are the same apart from the engine, and a few body and trim parts that are not used in a Marlin Roadster.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

hi
        I thought with age of car you could tuv as oldtimer?

Comment

Originally posted by Kitcarjohn View Post
          hi
          I was under the impression that the European standard applied to a 40 year old car. In this case the donor was 80/81 so has 4 more years to wait.

But I could be wrong, and certainly in Spain, whilst the laws should be applied nationally, each local Guardia Civil Trafico department seem to interpret them to suit their own agenda, and it's virtually impossible to argue the case even if EU las is perfectly clear.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitcarjohn View Post
            hi
            Hi,
            the car must be 30 years or older to be historic.
            But this doesn`t help me, because i need a normal registration before the historic registration. :-(

Comment

I stand corrected, maybe it's a 'special' Spanish consideration.

Did you follow the other suggestion that I made?
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                I stand corrected, maybe it's a 'special' Spanish consideration.

Did you follow the other suggestion that I made?
                I`m from germany, i only bought the car in spain.

I wrote an email to the club archive of the Morris Marina club this sunday, but i have no answer till now.
                I wait a few more days.

Also i wrote a mail to the gov.uk. But they has only type approvals and emission certificates since 1984 :-(

Comment

I got it!
                  Now, 3 months later i have my german license plates.
                  It was not easy with the german TÜV (MOT), but now everything is legal
                  and i can drive my Marlin.
                  Thank you for all the help.

Patrick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well done, hope you have fun in it this summer.

Must admit that's an unusual luggage box, never seen one of those before. As it means no spare weren't you tempted to mount it on an 'over the wheel' luggage rack?
                    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Working...
                    X