Cabrio windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio windscreen

I'm in the process of replacing my Cabrio windscreen and wondered what sealant/adhesive others have used?

Re: Cabrio windscreen

I used some automotive Silkaflex. Very strong bond and bu***r to get off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
      I used some automotive Silkaflex. Very strong bond and bu***r to get off your hands.
      White spirit works best. Also white spirit is best for removing self adhesive labels glue!

Comment

I went to my local windscreen replacement company and bought a tube of the sealant they use to fit modern car screens.

A few useful tips they offered:
        Ensure the glass is spotlessy clean (from finger grease)
        Cut an inverted V shape (4mm wide x 6mm high) into the dispensing nozzle, to allow a pyramid shaped continuous trail to be applied to the screen frame. Practice using different angles of the gun on any other flat surface to find what works best.
        Use two blocks (of rubber) - approx 8-10mm wide - to locate the height of the windscreen relative to the surround. Sit the screen on the blocks and then allow the glass to rotate onto the screen/sealant.

Use good quality double sided sticky pads to fix the rear view mirror if you have one. I bought genuine Ford pads which worked perfectly (on a cleaned section of screen)

And the mess?
        Prevention is better than cure........a pair of cheap latex gloves is a very simple throw away solution.

Comment

Thanks Mike, some useful tips . I just tried local windscreen company this afternoon [Autowindscreens] but whilst helpful couldn't supply me with a tube of sealant. Apparently they use something else ? that requires a primer /accelerator first.
          I'm currently looking at Sikaflex 221 if I can find that locally.

Comment

Have a look at this it sticks like s**t to a blanket. I used it to put the door seal on my BM back together over a year ago.http://www.waysideadhesives.com/Mast...it--7_prod.php
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Windscreen fitters don’t seem to use Sikaflex any more they use a stronger goop as the screen is often a structural component. I have noticed that ships chandlers still stock it. Which might not be a help to you land lubbers.
              Paul

Comment

CBS do similar. Equally messy to use! Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                  Thanks Mike, some useful tips . I just tried local windscreen company this afternoon [Autowindscreens] but whilst helpful couldn't supply me with a tube of sealant. Apparently they use something else ? that requires a primer /accelerator first.
                  I'm currently looking at Sikaflex 221 if I can find that locally.
                  Sikaflex is available on Ebay. However a local builder has changed from Sikaflex to CT1 which he thinks is even better, also available on Ebay.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input. Have managed to obtain Sikaflex 221 from boat chandlers this afternoon following many hours of search and none too few phone calls. Refitting begins tomorrow!

Comment

New screen now fitted and stainless surround refitted. No problems encountered, in fact it all went very smoothly with minimum amount of mess. Just the heater fan /rear windscreen support housing to go back and refit the bonnet.

Comment

Well done mate, I reckon a small Scotch might be in order for you tonight !

Comment

I don't think he does small!!

Comment

Laphoigh, Glenfiddich, Jack Daniels, or shall I go for the cooking Famous Grouse. Decisions , decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Any b++++y excuse!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X