Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure

G,day All
    I,m curious what tire pressure people are using and what did YKC suggest for the marina based cars.Can anyone identify my rims
    Thanks
    Michael
    Attached Files
    Last edited by michael47; 13-02-17, 05:38 PM.

Re: Tire pressure

About 18 to 20 PSI
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by michael47 View Post
      G,day All
      I,m curious what tire pressure people are using and what did YKC suggest for the marina based cars.Can anyone identify my rims
      Thanks
      Michael
      My hunter has 18 -20 psi by the way you have the same colour scheme as my Hunter looks really well

Comment

I have tried a few different settings and have settled on 20 psi all round. I find it reduces bump steer and and gives a nice ride.
        Stumbling around in the dark
        Marina based SWB roadster
        Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

AS above 20 PSI is a good starting point
          YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

[QUOTE=Blue Marlin;41108]I have tried a few different settings and have settled on 20 psi all round. I find it reduces bump steer and and gives a nice ride.[/QUOTE

Thanks All
            it seems 18/20 is the magic # I have been running 22 and it is a bit harsh, looking forewrdto spring to try 18 -20.

Comment

yep 18/20 is what FMB has. Still crashes into potholes but I think it has more to do with the front springs/rates.

Comment

As said in several places, the spring rates on a Marina based Marlin, assuming the donor was a saloon car are far too high for a substantially lighter Roadster with a very different weight distribution, nearer 50/50.
                Much of the comfort ride comes from tyre sidewall deflection and whilst that is pressure dependent it also varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer.
                Should you decide to move from 13 to 15" wheels, the sidewalls will be substantially different, and the tyre pressures may need to be reduced to retain some ride comfort.
                Its a game of compromises. I would suggest fitting Spax adjustable shock absorbers front and rear, and then adjust the few variables to suit your preferred style.

Comment

Hi Michael,
                  If you can find specs for your tyres online it might be worth checking them. The original tyres for my car specified a minimum pressure of 22 psi. As mentioned this gives quite a harsh ride. Mind you with quite a light car, usually good driving conditions and reasonably sedate driver I think you will get away with a lower pressure.

In my opinion the best indicator of appropriate pressure is even wear across the tyre.
                  Cheers, Paul

Comment

I think you'll find that the minimum pressure depends on the weight of the vehicle. 18PSI seems to be ideal for mine 16 makes it quite vague and I'm an enthusiastic driver
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                      As said in several places, the spring rates on a Marina based Marlin, assuming the donor was a saloon car are far too high for a substantially lighter Roadster with a very different weight distribution, nearer 50/50.
                      Much of the comfort ride comes from tyre sidewall deflection and whilst that is pressure dependent it also varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer.
                      Should you decide to move from 13 to 15" wheels, the sidewalls will be substantially different, and the tyre pressures may need to be reduced to retain some ride comfort.
                      Its a game of compromises. I would suggest fitting Spax adjustable shock absorbers front and rear, and then adjust the few variables to suit your preferred style.
                      Thank you every one.Lucki
                      ly the car came with the Spax Adj shocks,They were installed on the original build in 1994 and now have about 15 000 Miles on them so I think they should be fine.You make a good point about wheels size ,I might just go to 14 " if I can find a wheel that fits What I would like is for the car to look balanced and the 13 inch do not look like a classic I am no longer a very aggressive road racer and would be glad to give up a little bit of handling and comfort for a taller wheel .My big problem I think is that a neighbour has a MG TD and those tall rims look perfect compared to the little 13 's

Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X