Cloned reg number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloned reg number.

Tonight I was having a wee play on a new to me website for stolen cars. So I put the reg of my tin top in and it came back all correct for make, model and not stolen. Next I put in the reg of my Marlin and it came back as not stolen but I was a wee bit concerned when the make said Dutton.

I put it down to this website not being very accurate, after all it is free. But just to be on the safe side I checked on DVLA and all the details are correct, big sigh of relief. However I decided to enter the same reg and put Dutton for the make and was concerned when it came back as correct! It says first used 2011 with one MOT recorded which it failed.

I phoned a number for DVLA on the V5 but they are closed, I will try tomorrow. Watch this space.

Re: Cloned reg number.

That sounds to me nothing more serious than an MOT tester typing in the wrong info, but I would be interested to compare dates for all the MOT and road tax data. It seems odd that a reg number could be applied to two different models of car, on the DVLA records. Chassis numbers might be a clue.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Update. Phoned and was told to write to the sensitive casework dept with all details.....

Comment

Got a reply.

20170317_174438.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
          Got a reply.

[ATTACH]8264[/ATTACH]

Safe!
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Several years ago, 2004, I was thanked by the DVLA for notifying them, that my Rover car was no longer on the road. Very strange as it was outside and at that time was my only car. I involved the local police as I had already had a problem with my car apparently being used in a robbery up north. The police managed to obtain the piece of paper which had been returned to the DVLA with the Registration details on. The DVLA had inputted the wrong number into their computer, also the colour was different. I wrote and explained this to them, and they wanted to know how I had been able to have confirmation of their error !!!! A few weeks later Judy & I were going to Glastonbury Pop Festival and we were pulled over by the police, and they said my car was not registered with the DVLA. They accepted my explanation as the officer knew Judy's son who was a serving policeman then. I had to then contact the DVLA again to say I was going to the Bristol areas main Police headquarters the following week and I did not want to be stopped there. End of story but no apology. David.

Comment

Hi when I was building FMB i had a call from Middlesex police saying that they had a car with the reg of the Sierra I had scrapped to produce my Cabrio. ( ihad gutted the car and cut the reg numbers out of the shell prior to taking it to a Widnes scrapyard.).
              They said that they may need to talk to me again, but never did.
              I had a prolonged episode with the DVLA but I hadn't thought of any connection before I just assumed they were pretty useless at entering car details.

Comment

My friends neighbour had his number plates stolen some time ago and so far has had over thirty fines for not paying the Dartford crossing toll.
                His car is a Vauxhall and the picture on the fine is of a Peugeot but they still haven't caught the car even though its crossing on a regular basis. Even though they know the offending car is not his they still keep sending him the fines.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                X