No announcement yet.

Marina Brake master cylinder and servo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Brake master cylinder and servo.

Hi, does anyone know of a newer alternative to the Marina Brake master cylinder and servo that has the same pedal connection and the same bulk head mounting?
    Cheers,

Re: Marina Brake master cylinder and servo.

There are no direct like for like Master cylinders.
    Your best bet is to look to getting yours refurbished so try here or there first.
    Chris Weedon has an ongoing project to get every rare Marina brake part refurbished and held in stock.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Just before I sold my Roadster, a local garage tried unsuccessfully to get hold of a direct replacement for my Marina master cylinder. In the end, they fitted an MGB one but it was such a time consuming task that it cost me around £500 if I remember correctly. There were lots of clearance issues and the pedal mountings were different. That was one of the final things that made me decide that it was time for the Marlin to go.

Comment

You will find a thread on here for the fitting of a peugeot 205 master cylinder and servo , it is not a direct swap, an adaptor plate is needed to fit to the pedal box the clevis needs to be altered and the brake pipes need altering. I have recently done the conversion it worked well until the diaphram on the servo split , that i think was just bad luck. On the positive side the parts are cheap and plentiful , the same servo and mc are also used on some 306s and berlingo vans.

Comment

I can only go by the workshop manual and parts manual drawings but would this TR7 servo do the job?

Search Rimmers TR7
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Whilst the idea that a Triumph part would suit a Marina, given the BL parts bin interchange, unfortunately all reasearch to date has shown fundamental incompatibility whether in linkage or hydraulic issues. The Parts Bin attitude in this case fails.
            Individuals are free to investigate themselves, and maybe they will find a solution, but like the Peugeot alternative, or Clio brakes etc. there are no solutions that don't require a level of engineering skill.
            If the necessary parts can be recycled, surely that is the preferred solution.
            I leave it to readers to decide, but I have provided a link that may prove to be the ultimate answer.
            Time will tell.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

"Can you see the part number on the master cylinder"
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Thanks for the replies. As I'm undertaking a complete rebuild I think seeking an alternative will be too time consuming so I have cleaned up the old master cylinder and now looks pretty good condition.
                The part number is GIRLING 64678912 20189. I am now needing a service seal kit. Anyone know the part numbers for it?
                The servo had a bit of surface rust but after a bit of tlc and repaint now looking nearly new. The diagram also looks pretty good so decided to stick with the Marina components for now.
                Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Hi Steve, I was reading the Cleo brake mod thread and was interested in what Chris was trying to do with the Peugeot caliper. Did he ever come to a conclusion?
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

M/Cyl with servo single line repair kit 18G 9127
                    M/Cyl with servo Dual line repair kit BHM 7033

These are the part numbers from the Leyland parts catalogue but motor factors often use their own reference numbers.

You may need to measure the bore diameter to be sure you get the correct kit. Sometimes it is possible
                    to read the actual seal number with a magnifying glass.
                    Last edited by b_caswell; 20-02-17, 10:46 PM.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I too was looking for a replacement m/c - mine was - still is - a late Marina/Ital dual tandem master cylinder. The serial number on the side is GIRLING 646789120104. I contacted Chris Weedon and asked whether he could help - he put me onto someone called Nigel Wigg at Past Parts. I spoke with Nigel & then sent the m/c/ off to him and a few weeks later got it back fully overhauled with a stainless steel sleeve and new seals. I think it cost around £125.
                      Past Parts ( 01284 750729 )
                      Unit 4 Chase Road
                      Northern Way Ind. Est.
                      Bury St. Edmunds
                      Suffolk
                      IP32 6NT

Comment

Chris Weedon did a lot of work to set this up.
                        If you plan to take this route, please ensure that you mention his name. You won't get a discount, Chris will not get commission, but the next project he takes on may get a touch more credibility.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                          X