Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the stalk switch assembly for indicators, lights wipers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the stalk switch assembly for indicators, lights wipers...

I am currently overhauling various areas of my Marlin, at the moment the steering column stem switches is the issue. It did have the stalk switch gear from a Morris Ital I think but the wiper arm assembly disintegrated and fell to bits, quickly followed by the inner end of the ignition switch.
    I fitted a dual function rocker switch for the wipers/ squirters and eventually managed to rewire a new ignition key switch and a ‘start’ switch to get it running & through the mot last year. I planned to overhaul the situation over this winter.
    I have kept the old ignition key switch in order to continue to have a steering lock; thus I use 2 keys.

I have my eyes upon one of these:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...stalk-assembly

It looks ideal for what I want it for, operates indicators, wipers and lights and it looks like it will fit except that it is about 13mm too long from ‘front to back’ The current space I have if I remove the (still working) indicator/light stem switch on the left of the steering column is about 100mm and this new assembly is 113mm. The problem I then face is either to find an alternative means of holding the steering wheel on by changing this ‘cup’ to a shallower one – or remove the old ignition key switch altogether and have no steering lock. I have no idea how it works (having never seen the inside of one) but I suspect there will be a rotating lug actioned by the key that slots somehow in the steering column – thus moving this old key switch further down the column is probably impossible.
    I did hunt around for a replacement Ital or Marina stalk switch gear assembly but gave up – figuring I would try to use the CBS one if I can because it will be new and not pushing 30yrs old by now!
    Has anyone done any of this particular work before; what did you do?

Re: Changing the stalk switch assembly for indicators, lights wipers...

New wiper stalks are available...the joy of the BL parts bin approach is that classic mini items are almost identical...e.g. here
    The only difference is they look a little longer than your remaining stalk - I wonder if that has been shortened at some point..?

Personally I use classic Mini stalks from an 84-89 model; mounted upside down so as not to foul the scuttle, this moves the indicators to the right. Get the earlier versions if you want indicators on the left.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Aha.. That is a solution I hadn't expected Thanks for the link - I'll buy that and things can (almost) get back to normal!

Comment

You can see the 'old style' rocker switches fitted around the dash and lower console panel... I would like to upgrade these to something that would look a bit more modern.. Has anyone got any suggestions for the likes of heater fan, lights, spots / fogs, hazards etc?

Comment

Working...
        X