Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page  Click here to sign up
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

frequent forum contributor Club Member

Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by h_m_cumming View Post
    If it's only catching at fully open it will be the inbuilt warp in the N/S wing, which is why I put the support in, a) to pull it down b) to hold it there. Has also been handy as you can put your full weight on it without it sagging. Unfortunately, it will interfere with a silencer if you have one under the wing.
    You are right, both running boards are warped slightly through age and when mounted the outer edge is higher than the fixed edge. A pair of strengthening brackets will sort this. Like you said the side exhaust will be in the way but I think I will be able to fabricate something.

image.jpg
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

frequent forum contributor Club Member David's Avatar

I had the doors hitting the wings on both the cars I've owned so fitted door straps to stop them opening too far.

Also on the car I built (PKK989M) I welded brackets under the wings to pull them down and fix to provide support for when the inevitable plonker decides to jump on them.

Like these, probably make your own but at <£40 a pair...

https://www.holden.co.uk/displayprod...?pCode=097.799

097_799.jpg
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

frequent forum contributor Club Member

Thanks for the link. I was also thinking about check straps mainly for security as I feel that the doors are a little too easy to remove.
    First I will take all the old paint off including the inner wings, then fit them and fabricate some support brackets so the running boards will then be level across the width. Then I will have to wait for some fine weather again to get the paint tent out. The check straps will be included in the final finishing of the interior.
    Cheers, Martin.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.