Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadster Rebuild Diary from Cornwall

Thanks for the replies Ben and Peter.
    The reverse selector fork was to blame. I tried like Ben said and straighten it slightly at the bottom end. I think I did by about 1mm and here is the box back together again. Very slight noise but I think most of that is slapping oil. To get the selector fork out it was bell housing off, rear extension off and remove the idler shaft. Please also thank the Triumph boys for their help.

Comment

stripped the old paint off the fuel tank today.
      Before.

IMG_3655.JPG

After, just need to paint.

IMG_3656.JPG

On to the little 1300 engine, was going to just replace gaskets and seals but one thing led to another and I got carried away to a strip down.

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

Comment

Wot, no rust on the tank, you lucky guy

Will you get away with new shells in the engine ?

Comment

The tank had a little surface rust but not much and it cleaned up a treat, just needs paint now. I don't think I will get away with bringing that indoors for the paint to harden though, may try my luck.
          Hopefully new shells, gaskets and seals and engine back together. I think the shells are standard size as I'm sure the crank hasn't been reground as the dimensions are 2.000".
          Need to give it all a good clean as there is rust residue in the water ways on the block, I have got a big container so going to try electrolysis to remove, I tried it to remove some rust from some other components and worked quite well.
          Last edited by meverett; 21-05-17, 08:28 AM.

Comment

After the engine strip down I plan to replace the crank and big end shell bearings and on closer inspection the cam bearings are scuffed up so I have removed them and ordered new. I have been reading up on the installation for these and it is critical that they are pressed or knocked in with a special cam bearing tool. I can't find one for sale in the uk and ones from USA are stupid money. Has anyone made a diy fitting tool or would it be best to take the block and new shells to an engineering workshop to fit.

Comment

Still need to fit the new cam bearings in the A series.
              Fitting tools seem to be too expensive so is anyone has made up a home made fitting tool I would appreciate a picture or two.
              Last edited by meverett; 03-06-17, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Being a life long fan (almost) of the Simpsons the kids bought me some Duff beer so thought I had better drink at least one as I had a plan for the can.

IMG_3810.JPG

Comment

Hah! Are you going to fit a donut holder?
                  Cheers, Homer

Comment

After a bit of trial and error on the lathe I have made my own tool and installed the cam shell bearings.

IMG_3813.JPG

Installed the cam followers and very carefully inserted the cam.

IMG_3814.JPG

Need to order the big end and crank shells now.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                      Being a life long fan (almost) of the Simpsons the kids bought me some Duff beer so thought I had better drink at least one as I had a plan for the can.

[ATTACH]8790[/ATTACH]
                      Interesting, have previously seen similar done in a TVR engine bay with a Red Bull can, don't know if it made the car any faster or gave it wings mind........
                      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Engine has had a full strip down and bores honed with new pistons, all new shell bearings, gaskets and seals.
                        New oil pump and water pump. It has taken a while.

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

Comment

My, that looks good. I'm a sucker for a nice clean engine me.

Comment

Me too! I think I will print that and paste it in my engine room so that I can see a nice clean engine when I open the bonnet. Respect.

Comment

Ha. Knowing what A series engines are like it won't be like that for long.

Comment

Sadly too true. This was my 1800 before it went in and then my Fiat. don't stay like that long.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X