• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster Motor Oil

Hi

in my car there's this sticker.

roadster_oil.jpg

Is it possible that is the right oil to buy now to refill the car?

Thanks

Re: Marlin Roadster Motor Oil

Depends on what engine your car has !!
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

My car is a Morris Marina 1.8 based.

Comment

If you plan to change the oil and filter, you can drain all the old oil and refill with whatever oil you choose, mineral or synthetic, but preferably keep to what is in the engine or use an engine flush first.

10W40 or 10W50 will be fine in a Marina 1800 engine.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

It is important to use the correct grade of oil for your engine. If you know what car was originally fitted with your engine you should be able to find the correct oil. Modern synthetic oil has better performance when it comes to sticking to surfaces and lubricating parts, but if it is the wrong grade you could damage your engine.

Comment

1800 B series engines are remarkably tolerant of different Oil grades.
            Log into your KeepandShare account with your account name and password.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Hi,
              I believe that synthetics are not "suitable" for older (b series etc) simply because tolerances are nowhere near as tight on these engines as they are on, say Zetec fords.
              Synthetics oils may degrade older seals and just blow past rings etc due to bigger gaps etc.
              They are not intrinsically going to damage your engine as they are much, much better at lubrication than old oils....they will just ooze past every seal and use more! ( and be expensive to boot!) You also might not get the oil pressure you expect as they are also normally a thinner grade.
              I have had experience in the past when synthetic and mineral did not mix ( went all lumpy) but I think that is over now!
              I run a kent cross flow (1978)and just use the oil specified.....ie 20/50.
              I, therefore, have no angst.
              Tim

Comment

Almost every oil supplier will tell you that there is no problem using a mineral oil in a old engine.
                My suggestion to flush the engine before refilling was intended as good advice if the engine maintenance history is unknown. Re-start from a known condition.
                Far more important to change the oil than to debate detail, rather like the GL4/GL5 debate, with a B Series engine, they are hardly high revving, high tolerance modern engines, nor do they generally cover high mileages.
                Better to have new lubricant than some of indeterminate age or quality.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                X