• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine fan

Hi. Question to the audience...
    Look at the picture attached and tell me if the engine fan
    is the right way round. Think I'm going mad! It rotates
    clockwise viewed from the front but seems to be pushing
    more air forwards. Wasn't me that fitted it. Only just noticed.
    Is there a more efficient plastic one that would fit onto the water pump?
    Cheers Gareth.
    Attached Files

Re: Engine fan

I would go electric, IMHO the fan is for to far away from the radiator to be effective. The modern fans are more efficient, mine only comes on in stop-go traffic
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Already got electric fan on the front Andy. But the engine fan just looks wrong and I can't believe I've only just noticed it! Just wondering if there's a plastic one that would be a staight swap?
      Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
        Already got electrif contained in a shroudc fan on the front Andy. But the engine fan just looks wrong and I can't believe I've only just noticed it! Just wondering if there's a plastic one that would be a staight swap?
        Gareth.
        Agree with above it is too far away. Behind rad fans will work better if conntained in a shroud so it sucks air through the whole core. More importantly the fan is on wrong way around. The concave curve should be facing the engine so the blades will scoop the air rearwards. At the moment they will create a lot of turbulence but not much airflow. Peter.

Comment

Andy is probably right about both the distance and getting an electric fan(opinion varies on that as it will obstruct some air flow when under way ).

But it does look to me like the fan is the wrong way round(back to front) and is not throwing the air back. Later cars had a plastic fan which looks like its more efficient.

Pete beat me to it so more than one brain thinks alike
          Last edited by b_caswell; 10-04-17, 01:37 PM.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
            Already got electric fan on the front Andy. But the engine fan just looks wrong and I can't believe I've only just noticed it! Just wondering if there's a plastic one that would be a staight swap?
            Gareth.
            If you already have an electric fan remove the mechanical one as it is just using power at the moment.

Pete - I keep thinking of replacing mine because it doesn't have shroud at the moment (it's e old Kenlow type) - any recommendations?
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi Gareth. I don't have a pic of this area post rebuild but this is a "before" pic. The electric fan sits nicely between the rad and the steering rack and there's no mechanical fan

The car has done several thousand miles like this so I am hoping it will be OK, the fan shroud should pull the air through

Could you put yours in a similar position and reverse the electrics ?
              HTH Rgds DC
              Attached Files

Comment

I can't convince myself that the fan is pushing rather than sucking through the rad.
                Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

These pics any help? It was the biggest I could fit in. Mounted with two ally brackets at the top and tucked in between the rad and rack. It's controlled with the thermostat you can see bolted to the side with the stat. sensor going in under the top hose into the rad.
                  I've also put an override switch on the dash for when I get stuck in traffic but have rarely had to use it. The temp just comes up to the engine thermostat temp and that's it. Set the fan stat, trial and error, to cut in at the point where the temp gauge starts to rise but to honest it seldome cuts in.
                  Rad by the way is an 1800 one.
                  Hugh.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by h_m_cumming; 11-04-17, 06:51 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                    I can't convince myself that the fan is pushing rather than sucking through the rad.
                    Paul
                    In theory yes, but it's like a stalled aircraft wing and will produce lots of turbulence as currently fitted. The curve needs to go the other way for good airflow across the blade(s). Hence my suggestion to turn it around. Peter.

Comment

It definitely fitted the wrong way round but as it is in the picture it's also running backwards! As Pete says, lots of turbulence but not alot happening!
                      Can't believe it's probably been like that since its been built!!!
                      Currently off the car and being painted. So I'll report back and let you know how much difference it makes the right way round.
                      Gareth.

Comment

Beware the plastic fans, they have a tendency to bend towards the steering rack and its mounting bolts especially at 5000 rpm.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Can't you try a smoke test to see which way air is flowing? Should be simple enough with one of those joss stick thingy's!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                            Agree with above it is too far away. Behind rad fans will work better if conntained in a shroud so it sucks air through the whole core. More importantly the fan is on wrong way around. The concave curve should be facing the engine so the blades will scoop the air rearwards. At the moment they will create a lot of turbulence but not much airflow. Peter.
                            Just to be clear the engine does turn clockwise from the front, it's the right fan, just mounted the wrong way round.

Shrouded fans are good. In my experience it's airflow through the rad that is important, whilst the car is in reasonable motion there is plenty of airflow if you have a re-cored radiator, the electric fan is only essential when in slow moving traffic or stationary.
                            MOC member since 05/97
                            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                              Beware the plastic fans, they have a tendency to bend towards the steering rack and its mounting bolts especially at 5000 rpm.
                              5000 rpm? Don't think my engine would stay together at 5000 rpm!! Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X