Engine fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine fan

This is my MK IV Air Flow Detector (AFD) it is surprisingly good at showing air flow. After putting Millie through her SVA I discovered the demist fan was connected the wrong way round. Fortunately, the inspector only used his fingers to detect air movement. In case you can’t guess it’s a bit of tissue paper sticky taped to a stick. It will even give you an indication of smooth flow or turbulence.
    Paul
    Attached Files

Comment

I love hi-tech solutions Paul. Can I buy one off e bay??? Lol!

Comment

I wonder what MKs I-III comprised..?
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Well! I can report that the fan now works. There's a positive gale blowing in there! So well, in fact, that when I stand alongside the car with the bonnet open and give the engine a rev my hair blows (well, what's left of it...) in the wind! It's like one of those shampoo ads! Even my beer tastes better!
          The weird thing is, putting it back together I found that the bolts fouled the water pump webbing meaning the bolts were never tightened fully for years even though the pully didn't wobble. Correct length bolts used and all seems well.
          Yay, roll on summer!
          Gareth.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
            I wonder what MKs I-III comprised..?
            Mk 1 Wet finger held in air stream

Mk2 Talc powder in air stream

Mk 3 Shreds of tissue from cleaning off talc mess

Mk 4 Eureka!

:-)

Comment

Just a thought, whilst there's a couple of pictures of mine on this thread...is it possible to those in the know, to identify if I have a mk1 or mk2 steering rack.
              Just curious.
              Cheers Gareth.

Comment

Hi Gareth,

mk2 I'd say, due to flange visible at steering knuckle end and lack of flange on opposite end.

Derek
                Last edited by Blue Marlin; 11-04-17, 08:27 PM. Reason: Link added
                Stumbling around in the dark
                Marina based SWB roadster
                Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
                  Hi Gareth,

mk2 I'd say, due to flange visible at steering knuckle end and lack of flange on opposite end.

Derek
                  Inevitably all the information you need to spot the type of rack is here

Log into your KeepandShare account with your account name and password.

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                    Mk 1 Wet finger held in air stream

Mk2 Talc powder in air stream

Mk 3 Shreds of tissue from cleaning off talc mess

Mk 4 Eureka!

:-)
                    5. Elastoplast for when finger makes contact with a moving fan.

Comment

As has been said your fan is on the wrong way round, but it will still push air the right way as it is . Just not efficiently. I have had a person tell me that I the fan is turned around it will blow instead of suck. It wasn't April the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                        As has been said your fan is on the wrong way round, but it will still push air the right way as it is . Just not efficiently. I have had a person tell me that I the fan is turned around it will blow instead of suck. It wasn't April the 1st.

Yep! A common misunderstanding. If you take a right hand thread bolt and turn it around it is still a right hand thread bolt! Simples!

Comment

All I can say is, with the fan the correct way round the difference is more than considerable.
                          Hope to see you all at Stoneleigh. The way the fan is performing now, I should be there 10 minutes after leaving Chester!!!
                          Gareth.

Comment

turbo air blower power it is then!! ; - ))

Comment

Well, I took the Roadster out for a proper drive today, not hanging around, up to the Horseshoe Pass to test out the fan, and although it was cold, the temp gauge was reading half of what it normally did.
                              Some decent engine cooling at last, or the gauge is buggered!
                              Gareth.

Comment

Working...
                              X