2.3 DOHC fuel pump failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.3 DOHC fuel pump failure

Took the hunter for a test drive yesterday after some work on the cooling system only to have the fuel pump fail, luckily only 5 miles away so towed it home.
    Single HP pump near the tank, unknown make, I guess the original as fitted by Marlin. To those who have already replaced said item, what make/model/spec should I be looking for?
    PeterH

Re: 2.3 DOHC fuel pump failure

I have for sale on ebay a HP pump that may be suitable . It has been used but I checked it's function 3days ago and it was fine. Now surplus to rquirements as I have sold my Cabrio.
    Vehicle was powered by BMW 2.5 engine.
    Item number is 182534249472 if of interest. Genuine Sytec/Walbro not a Chinese copy!

Comment

Can I have second dibs on this if Peter H is not interested?

I still have a Cabrio with a Burton 2L Pinto and the pump has started to get a tad noisy.
      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I had the to replace my external fuel pump on my 2.0i a while ago, I did manage to get a Bosch now discontinued I think.
        Equivalent is Sytec OTP019 not sure if OK for 2.3 though Glencoe will advise, I recall Phil Coyle kindly advising me on this issue
        Regards
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by droverpete View Post
          Took the hunter for a test drive yesterday after some work on the cooling system only to have the fuel pump fail, luckily only 5 miles away so towed it home.
          Single HP pump near the tank, unknown make, I guess the original as fitted by Marlin. To those who have already replaced said item, what make/model/spec should I be looking for?
          PeterH
          Whatever you fit make sure you install a suitable inline filter before it. My Marlin one failed at 34k, when I took it apart it was full of rubbish. I know others will say I am wrong but I aint, my supercharger merc has external pump with filter before it Jags do, so all these car makers cant be wrong can they?

Comment

The Facet pumps come with a filter that must be fitted between the tank and the pump, so no you're not wrong.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks for the replies and thanks to dogoncrazy, looks like just what I need. PM sent.

Comment

On the subject of filters. When I got the Hunter it had no filter but there was a join in the pipe between tank and pump so I fitted a cheap one there, it always had air in it and wouldn't run properly so removed it and runs fine again. Should there also be a non-return valve between tank and filter? Position of pump means it has to suck unless tank is brim full.

Comment

A cause of my pump failure was due to poor quality hose which had collapsed internally. Replaced with better quality hose and re routed as best as possible options are limited for this
                  Regards
                  Dave

Comment

No valves required normally my Hunter runs fine with the filter before it so maybe it wasnt a fuel injection filter? these are aluminum with very fine filter media inside? In the past I have cut them open to show customers how much dirt is in them

Comment

The Facet filter is part of the input union. They can be bought separately on ebay.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi Droverpete,
                        May I suggest that you do not get hung up on engine sizes, they are totally irrelevant. A fuel pump by its very nature pumps at a given pressure, it does not know which vehicle it is fitted to and in fact your pump is also fitted to Ferrari, Mercedes, and Ford. It is after all a Bosch component.
                        The most important thing to look for is output per litre per hour, for you it should be, Flow Rate 3 bar. max pressure 5 bar this is delivered on ignition only for about 2 seconds.
                        Anything lower in pressure than a flow rate of 3 bar and you may as well buy yourself a moped. www.glencoeltd.co.uk has a greater knowledge of all pumps, so you don't have to take my word for it. If I can help at all I will.
                        Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by phil.coyle View Post
                          Hi Droverpete,
                          May I suggest that you do not get hung up on engine sizes, they are totally irrelevant. A fuel pump by its very nature pumps at a given pressure, it does not know which vehicle it is fitted to and in fact your pump is also fitted to Ferrari, Mercedes, and Ford. It is after all a Bosch component.
                          The most important thing to look for is output per litre per hour, for you it should be, Flow Rate 3 bar. max pressure 5 bar this is delivered on ignition only for about 2 seconds.
                          Anything lower in pressure than a flow rate of 3 bar and you may as well buy yourself a moped. www.glencoeltd.co.uk has a greater knowledge of all pumps, so you don't have to take my word for it. If I can help at all I will.
                          Phil.
                          Phil

This is not entirely true.

Pumps are designed for a specific purpose - some to deliver high volumes but at low pressures, whilst others may deliver high pressure but limited volumes, others a combination of both.

In the case of a fuel injected engine it is important to have a fuel pump capable of exceeding the maximum required pressure, and deliver the flow rate required by the engine.
                          Thus once you have established the pressure requirement, the flow rate will depend on the rate an engine consumes fuel, which will be a factor of its size, efficiency, and the rpm it operates at - so engine size does matter.

Your wording suggests confusion between pressure and flow rate.
                          There is no such thing as "a Flow rate of 3 bar".
                          Flow rate is a measure of litres/hour, whereas Pressure is measured in Bar ( or psi). If you look at the Glencoe website their pumps show different Flow rates depending on the pressure they are expected to push against - the higher the pressure to pump against, the lower the stated Flow rate.

As you say, Glencoe will confirm this...........
                          Last edited by Mike; 20-04-17, 05:03 PM.

Comment

To consider as well as the above, Some Hunter/ Cabrio cars are built using the injection pump at the rear sending the fuel to the fuel rail. Others have a pump at the rear sending fuel to a swirl pot located at the front and the injection pump then taking the fuel to the fuel rail.

Comment

Thats why they have a pressure regulator and a return back to the tank so that you can have a large pump on a smaller engine. Supercharged jags have two fuel pumps one for normal use the other when it starts to boost.
                              Most modern Jags have smart fuel pumps nowdays with no fuel return [less chance of leaks and fires plus less cost] with a scanner you can see the pressure they are working at, these pumps arnt large but are up to the job.
                              When my pump failed I found one with the right size in and out pipes put a filter before it and bobs your uncle its not that complected and only cost £24

Comment

Working...
                              X