Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page  Click here to sign up
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Members Map

frequent forum contributor Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar

Re: Members Map

Couple of questions:

1. Are details taken off the map if a person's membership lapses?

2. How do I get added to the map?
    Mk 2 SWB Roadster with 1.8L Pinto and 5 speed type 9 box.

Administrator Club Member

Just to say I am reading this thread with interest.

It so happens that at the AGM I suggested as the map was not well populated we should consider removing it.

I’m not sure of the legalities but my personal policy is to never give out any personal information unless requested to do so by the person. So if you ask me to give another member your address or email and ask them to contact you – that’s fine. You can’t ask me to give you another member’s email.

I agree that it would be great to have a tick box in your personal details to say add me to the map.

Even with that in place I doubt we could get more than a few takers.

To answer a couple of questions from Jon:
    1. Are details taken off the map if a person's membership lapses?
    I guess that would be my job. I haven’t removed anybody yet. I don’t know if any non-members are in the map.

I guess that would be my job. I haven’t added anybody yet.

Paul
    Website Administrator

frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mocad2016 View Post
    It so happens that at the AGM I suggested as the map was not well populated we should consider removing it.
    Would you care to share the meetings mood on the subject, or did it just get shelved, to remain as is, no further action?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Administrator Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    Would you care to share the meetings mood on the subject, or did it just get shelved, to remain as is, no further action?

There was some discussion as to why we didn’t share people’s details without their permission. Some discussion afterwards with a couple of members who would like to see opting in simplified. Not a very strong consensus in favour or against.
    Paul

frequent forum contributor Club Member

I think the issue is not about how to simplify opting in (opting out is not an option legally) but once people have "ticked the box" to say its ok to share all/some details its how you then process that information to populate a map etc. that's difficult. Automating it from within a database is very hard so unless members update it themselves (no provision for this atm) it has to be done as a batch upload every so often. Not difficult but it does add to the workload.
    The website and associated technology is hugely important to the club and these little extras are really worth doing.

frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdminUser View Post
    I think the issue is not about how to simplify opting in (opting out is not an option legally) but once people have "ticked the box" to say its ok to share all/some details its how you then process that information to populate a map etc. that's difficult. Automating it from within a database is very hard so unless members update it themselves (no provision for this atm) it has to be done as a batch upload every so often. Not difficult but it does add to the workload.
    The website and associated technology is hugely important to the club and these little extras are really worth doing.
    I remember arguing that the members themselves should have the right to decide what information was revealed, and to allow editing of their information that was shared.
    It would add a level of complexity to the online system, but simultaneously would remove the need for a web admin to add or edit a information voluntarily shared, on demand!
    There would be no need to cull or edit the list when memberships expire provided, if a last update record was held, expect perhaps on a 5 year basis, but those using the database could use their personal knowledge to personally cull the information. I, for example, living mostly in Spain, would not expect to be invited to UK events.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

frequent forum contributor Club Member jon_wilkinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mocad2016 View Post

I guess that would be my job. I haven’t added anybody yet.
    Please would you do that for me then, Paul.

Thanks,

Jon
    Mk 2 SWB Roadster with 1.8L Pinto and 5 speed type 9 box.

Hi, Personally I would welcome any up-dating or bringing back into use of the Members Map. I seem to be the only Marlin owner on the South Coast and it's a bit lonely down here. Personally I would have no problem with my contact details being published on the map as the distribution is after all to Club Members and the purpose of the club is to bring members together. There are several local shows available to enter but few kit cars or interesting specials.

frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by velovol View Post
    Hi, Personally I would welcome any up-dating or bringing back into use of the Members Map. I seem to be the only Marlin owner on the South Coast and it's a bit lonely down here. Personally I would have no problem with my contact details being published on the map as the distribution is after all to Club Members and the purpose of the club is to bring members together. There are several local shows available to enter but few kit cars or interesting specials.
    I also want to keep the members map. If people are nervous about giving their full details then surely they could be persuaded to allow just the nearest large town to be put on the map. Perhaps a proactive note could be put in Pitstop to encourage members to do this? It would certainly encourage me with the SW Meets! Peter.

It just occurred to me that I also belong to the Westerly Owners Association who publish a year book every year with members names, names of boats and telephone and e-mail addresses. I haven't counted them but there are probably well over 1,000 and they are quite happy to go on providing that information. I agree with a certain level of security but I can't see Marlin owners as being particular high on anyone's list of targets and a little more openness would help members get together.