North Coast 500... First 1/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Coast 500... First 1/4

My daughter missed out on a P7 school trip of a few days to Argyll so I offered to take her for a 2 day drive out west and do the first ¼ of the NC500..
    So it started an hour later than expected, headed over towards Glen Coe.
    Had to do the obligatory…

It was a bit colder when I was here with the DB5…

Then we hit traffic Qs from Ballachulish to Corran Ferry & some congestion in Fort Bill. Then a nice run up to Invergarry & on to Kyle of Lochalsh & Skye.

The Skye bridge is fabulous…

Up to Plockton to see the Palms & get an ice cream, then Loch Carron & on to the Bealach na Ba – pity there was so much traffic; it’s become too popular. However, we did at least get the hairpins to ourselves
    Looking over the 100s of lochans, some of which I have fished in years gone by..

Went down the hill and came to a bend where someone was coming up & I remembered ABS wasn’t invented when this wee car was designed – so we left our mark on the road.. Got to the Applecross campsite & tents set up then down to the Inn for a superb dinner…

Pride of place…

A fine evening followed before slumber…
    Breakfast, shower, pack up & go.. first delight of the day…

The Sand Bay beach just around the peninsula – a real cracker of a beach. Must make an effort & go & fish there one day.

The rest of the headland was absolutely fabulous in the wee car; hugging the tarmac on the tight bends & roaring up the hills, really, really enjoyed that road – absolutely superb. On to Shieldaig & Torridon..

So, there's my first 1/4 of the NC500, to do it I clocked up 505 miles.. Mostly @31mpg - my "2nd wife" drinks the juice when I put the hammer down - but she makes a great sound
    It would make a great tour run for any of you thinking of coming up over the border for some amazing scenery – but you have to book the weather in advance!

Re: North Coast 500... First 1/4

Fantastic part of Scotland. Will have to go up there one day in my Marlin. The only problem is the weather at times but the scenery is worth it. Plockton and Loch Carron are two of my most favorite areas but it is getting busy and expensive to stay unless you camp. I am getting too old for that and my wife would not camp unless there were en-suite facilities !

Comment

We (several MOC cars) were at Cardross in Scotland both 2014 and 2015, here are the 2014 routes and one of David Siddalls pics going through Glencoe in 2014 - magnificent scenery.

Great to see you're out and enjoying the car

Best Wishes DC
      Attached Files

Comment

I see you passed through my town on that Sunday run; wish I'd have known - would have given a wave as you passed by!
        I am blessed with fabulous scenery to drive through - but the smaller roads are not always smooth & I feel every bump.
        Going to drop the kids in school one day next week & then my wife & I will take a tour up and through Glen Lyon; it is a superb driving
        road and not too far away.

Comment

Thinking of going that way next May. Only trouble is the dog doesn't fit in the Marlin so it may have to be in a tin top. I would like to do the 500 though.

Comment

Car, scenery and weather(!) look fabulous - look forward to parts 2-4.

Your photos are inspiring and have further stoked our desire to tour the Northern coasts of Scotland in our Cabrio in retirement next year.

Comment

Fabulous part of the world. Rode there many times on my old Laverda 750 bike before I sold it and bought my Roadster.
              Need to go there in the Roadster...you've got me thinking.....
              Great pictures for the club calendar too!
              Gareth.

Comment

Alison and I are doing the North Coast 500 this September albeit in the MX5.

Comment

Inspired by pictures, accommodation booked up now. Leaving camper van and trailer in Dingwall then off we go on a six day tour round the North Coast

Comment

Just noticed, while playing with the TV. Check out BBC alba,on now 1/4. Ch.109 freeview. Repeated Saturday 20.30-21.00.
                    Last edited by Alan B Gloucester; 16-05-17, 08:13 PM.

Comment

We are off to Syke with FMB tomorrow, followed by a trip up the West Coast or not weather depending
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks good May is normally good, we have to wait to the end of August taking plenty of midge repellent

May be a daft question but why the tarpaulin over the roof ?

Regards
                        Dave

Comment

Hi Dave
                          When we first towed it we had a very wet passenger seat as the draft from the camper caused the Soft top to have a gap at the back of the door. It doesnt happen since I made the cover.

Comment

There are a few midgies about now, not too many though. You'll be wishing you made Biodiesel for that van... I make it / use it for mine costs me 25p/lt.. Pity the Marlin won't run on it though

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
                              We are off to Syke with FMB tomorrow, followed by a trip up the West Coast or not weather depending
                              SPOTTED!!!!! Saw you on the A9 just north of Gleneagles around 16.00. Most folk go the A82 to Skye though. Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.
                              Stumbling around in the dark
                              Marina based SWB roadster
                              Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Working...
                              X