Worn stub axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn stub axles

I was all set to drive to Stoneleigh on the bank holiday Monday but unfortunately when I went to get petrol on the Sunday afternoon I experienced excessive front end wheel wobble. I limped home and then jacked up the front of the car. Both hubs had excessive play, apparently from the bearings. I have had issues with the bearings for a while now and no matter how many times I re-adjust them I just can't sort the problem. It is perhaps worth mentioning that I bought the bearings from ANG car spares. They were advertised as Morris Marina but, what I don't know is whether they are perhaps a metric equivalent. The inner bearing has the number L44649 stamped on it and the outer bearing KLM11749. Today, I stripped the whole hub assembly in order to expose the stub axle. After a good clean I then measured with a set of digital callipers the part where the inner bearing sits. I don't know what the dimensions should be or the allowed tolerances but at various points it did differ.(1.060";1.062";1.062";1.0645").
    What I have discovered is that I can push the inner bearing onto the stub axle, to where it should sit, without any effort. I can then also remove the bearing using only light finger force. This would indicate that the bearing is far too loose on the stub axle indicating that the stub axle is worn or that the bearing is incorrect, therefore, the bearing is working loose when driving the car.
    The other issue that I have with the stub axle is that the splines near the thread are very chewed up. This makes it very difficult to fit the splined washer, especially when the whole assembly is coated in grease.
    I know that bearings have been discussed on this forum before and that there are companies out there that can perhaps melt metal on to the existing axle and then turn them down to the correct size but in view of the damaged splines it would probably be better if I could source some new ones, or find someone to make some for me. That's if the old ones can be removed from the swivel pin as I am not sure if that can be done.

The three photographs show the problem that I have.
    Picture 1 is of me being able to push the bearing on to the stub axle without any force.
    Picture 2 shows where the inner bearing sits and is where I took the measurements from.
    Picture 3 shows the damaged splines.

I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Chris
    Attached Files

Re: Worn stub axles

The stub axle is not really a replaceable part on its own as the whole steering upright comes as a complete assembly.

Your choices are:
    1. Sourcing replacement uprights. But inspect carefully as they may have the same problem or be twisted from accident damage.
    2. Following suggestions from 'Kilroy' here http://homepages.vodafone.co.nz/~fou...uspension2.htm
    3. Using one of the several bearing fitting products from Loctite (or similar) that has a gap filling capacity, but this might make future disassembly difficult do back to choice 1.

Metal buildup is a possibility but expensive as the setup to machine both inner and outer bearing surfaces or the splines would not be simple,

The original fault is quite possibly overtightening of the bearings in an effort to reduce play, when in fact there should be a little play, or natural age and corrosion and lack of maintennce.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Chris
      I think I might have a pair of used (but reuseable) uprights in the shed.
      Call me and I can check their condition
      B Rgds Dave

Comment

Dave that sounds brilliant. As you can see from the pictures, not only are the stub axles apparently worn, the splines are also in a very poor state and well past redemption. If you text me your number I can then ring you. My number is 07931771764
        Hopefully speak soon.
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X