Brakes binding on E36 based sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes binding on E36 based sportster

Hi I have a problem with my brakes binding on. The whole system is new,dual servo with adjustment on the plunger( which I have would back to give as much room as possible the the piston in the master cylinder). When mating up the servo and the master cylinder there is resistance, should the plunger just touch the piston when fully mated.Any ideas? Keith

Re: Brakes binding on E36 based sportster

There should be about .020" clearance. There were a lot of posts a while back about brakes binding on after a dual servo had been fitted. The fix was to add a Land Rover pull off spring to the pedal so the servo internal spring didn't have to do all the work.

I have never had the problem with my Hunter and I have a theory why. I am using a simple forked clevis which is a rattle fit on the brake pedal bolt. People who fitted the servos later used a rose joint to compensate for the misalignment of the O/E desigh. I have a rose joint but it is not yet fitted and being new it is quite stiff. I think the extra spring is required to overcome this stiffness.

As a quick check rig up a luggage bungee strap around the top of your brake pedal and see if it cures the problem (but get the servo plunger clearance sorted first)! Peter.

Comment

Re: Brakes binding on E36 based sportster

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
      There should be about .020" clearance. There were a lot of posts a while back about brakes binding on after a dual servo had been fitted. The fix was to add a Land Rover pull off spring to the pedal so the servo internal spring didn't have to do all the work.

I have never had the problem with my Hunter and I have a theory why. I am using a simple forked clevis which is a rattle fit on the brake pedal bolt. People who fitted the servos later used a rose joint to compensate for the misalignment of the O/E desigh. I have a rose joint but it is not yet fitted and being new it is quite stiff. I think the extra spring is required to overcome this stiffness.

As a quick check rig up a luggage bungee strap around the top of your brake pedal and see if it cures the problem (but get the servo plunger clearance sorted first)! Peter.
      Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply I have found that the adjustment screw was too long and was not going home fully. I have taken about 3mm of the length and with the lock nut back on there is now no resistance when mating the two parts together I will have a drive tomorrow when it stops raining to test it but I think it might now be resolved. I will keep you posted Cheers Keith

Comment

Working...
      X