Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina engine out - help with the best method please

Hi All

I have an 1800 marina engined roadster and want to swap the worn out gearbox

I have a replacement gearbox waiting in the wings but have been putting the job off for quite a while now

Looking through some previous posts it looks like I can either lift the engine and gearbox out the top or drop it out the bottom onto a dolly. Does anyone have any advice on the best / easiest way?

Any advice or guidance will be much appreciated

Thanks

Phil

Re: Marina engine out - help with the best method please

My Roaster has an Alfa engine and box which I removed to repair / refurbish and dropping it out the bottom was defo the way to go. I lifted the engine slightly, removed the engine mounts and this gave enough room to drop the engine onto a sheet of chipboard. This was actually an old side of a kitchen cupboard so was faced and slippy. I then lifted the car high enough with the engine hoist to slide the engine and box out.
    Drop car, roll away and lift engine etc
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Way to go sir, it's worked for me too !

Disconnect EVERYTHING (and you're bound to forget at least one thing) and the propshaft.

I lifted the engine/box a tiny amount on a jack, undid the engine mounts and the rear mount of the gearbox...IMHO best to take out the three bolts either side in the tunnel and drop it complete

Then move the car inches so that the engine mounts are clear and you can lower the lump to the floor, then lift the car up and away

Comment

Thanks Guys

I had another look around the engine bay yesterday evening and can see what you mean

I have a bit of free time coming up so no more excuses...... Will report back when it's done

Thanks again for quick replies and sound advice

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil.
          If you have time, how about posting various pictures as you go along, showing tools needed, problems encountered, etc.
          I'm sure they would be useful to others in the club. Just a thought...
          Good luck with it!
          Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
            Hi Phil.
            If you have time, how about posting various pictures as you go along, showing tools needed, problems encountered, etc.
            I'm sure they would be useful to others in the club. Just a thought...
            Good luck with it!
            Gareth.
            Hi Gareth
            I'll see what I can do.... with not too long a list of problems encountered I hope!
            Phil

Comment

A few photos that might help others.....

My biggest problem was space or the lack of it. Otherwise prepare everything in advance

I was expecting this to take quite a while so rather than hire an engine crane I bought a cheap second hand (mechanical rather than hydraulic) one. It was cheaper than hiring but was only just man enough for the job

I made up a trolley to save wrestling with the engine (had to strengthen it later) and made sure to have plenty of wooden blocks available

Ordered a lifting shackle and suitable slings but the wrong size shackle was delivered twice so had to go ahead without it (not to be recommended)

I put the car on ramps / axle stands front and back to give me enough room to disconnect the prop shaft and remove the gear box mounting. Used a small trolley jack to support the gearbox

Then removed everything I could (but forgot the the reversing light switch and snapped the wiring...) - so exhaust, carb, alternator, water pump, engine mounts.... everything off except the distributor really

Label everything

With a sling around the engine and trolley jack under the gearbox the whole assembly was inched forward and lowered carefully onto the trolley which very nearly collapsed under the weight. This is a very heavy lump!

To avoid accidents the engine was propped each side from the mounting points (probably belt and braces but I felt happier that it couldn't topple sideways)

With the engine and gearbox on the trolley the crane and sling was used to lift the front of the car clear so that it could be rolled out behind the front wheel

Then the engine and gearbox was moved round to the front of the garage where I had room to work on it and lifted onto timber blocks. Again the front of the engine was propped to stop it toppling sideways (or forward when the gearbox was removed - when it becomes very nose heavy - obvious really)

With everything supported removing and fitting the "new" gearbox was straightforward really and the owners manual can tell you all about this far better than I can

Refitting was just a reversal of removal so again pretty straight forward. I did have problems fitting the gearbox mount as I couldn't get my hand between the tunnel wall and the gearbox to fit the nuts, so welded on captive nuts in the end and that solved it

I hope the photo's are helpful and self explanatory (don't know why but they don't seem to be in any particular order).... If there is anything else that would help let me know and I will do my best to answer

The bearings in the old 'box were completely shot, but the "new" one seems fine is beautifully quiet (well comparatively) and the Marlin is back together and looking good

Thanks to all for their advice, it made things a lot easier

Phil
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Doublerat; 18-06-17, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Excellent set of pics DoubleR, well done
                They will be very useful to others in the future

PS reversing light wires....hmmm you're not the first LoL [Check post #3 on this thread]

Rgds DC
                Last edited by dcunn; 18-06-17, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                  Excellent set of pics DoubleR, well done
                  They will be very useful to others in the future

PS reversing light wires....hmmm you're not the first LoL

Rgds DC
                  What Dave said! Well done!

Comment

Scary stuff!! Really useful pics, cheers Phil. Well done.
                    Gareth.

Comment

Very helpful. I don't think my gearbox will last forever. So now I can start planning!

Comment

Well done.
                        Been there - done that in similar size garage
                        Can't beat 'Pot holing mechanics'!
                        Brian

Learning more about:
                        June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
                        1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
                        And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Working...
                        X