Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Radiator Fan switch

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
    The thermo switch needs to be on the radiator side of the car’s thermostat otherwise it will switch on when the engine warms up, even with a cold radiator. Peter.
    Thanks for that, I won't go drilling the head

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
      I've had a capillary one in for the last 20yrs without trouble. Make sure you wrap some rubber round the tube before clamping it so that it is not against the hard rad. tube.
      The over-ride switch is wired across the capillary switch to by-pass it when you need some extra cooling, mainly if caught in stop start traffic.
      What size fan have you got on there? Mine's an old Kenlow out 10" but has no shroud.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I have just noticed your forum signature and frankly I am surprised that a radiator sized for a 2.0 is struggling to keep things cool with just a 1.2 radiator. It makes me think that there could be something else wrong.

Modern Infrared thermometers can identify hotspots, infrared cameras are still a bit pricey, and can be worrying (too much information)
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

It measures 12" across the mounting flats and tucks down between the rad and the steering rack.
          Some more recent pics. From memory it's a Kenlow but I'm going to look up my recipts to check
          The rads an 1800 land crab one by the way.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by h_m_cumming; 26-05-17, 02:33 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
            I have just noticed your forum signature and frankly I am surprised that a radiator sized for a 2.0 is struggling to keep things cool with just a 1.2 radiator. It makes me think that there could be something else wrong.

Modern Infrared thermometers can identify hotspots, infrared cameras are still a bit pricey, and can be worrying (too much information)
            Well yes, if it wasn't such a ball ache to get the radiator out I would have got it recored a long time ago!

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
              It measures 12" across the mounting flats and tucks down between the rad and the steering rack.
              Some more recent pics. From memory it's a Kenlow but I'm going to look up my recipts to check
              The rads an 1800 land crab one by the way.
              How much space have you got between the radiator and the steering rack? I've only got 40mm

Comment

Part of the problem might be down to the thickness of the fan shroud and the mounting brackets obstructing the airflow.

Comment

Yes it is a Pacet. I've got 40mm as well. Pacet was taken over by Kenlow in 2014. My recipt calls it a 11in , presumably thats the actual fan dia.
                  Very similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-UNIVERS...8AAOSw241YdfnQ

Comment

Originally posted by 928cdu View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies , all good points..

My car only has a 1200cc Triumph engine, cooled by a Gt6 rad (perfect shape for the Marlin BTW), so with adequate airflow cooling is no issue. So I've decided to go for a capillary switch to start with & upgrade to some of the other suggestions should that prove problematical.

Several of you talk of an override switch, (possible stupid question coming up ) do you wire it to force the electrical fan "on", or "off". I guess to force "on" is more useful ?
                    My override switch is for turning the fan on if the driver can foresee a chance for overheating to occur, such as joining a queue on a hot day. The fan is wired through a relay. The earth for the relay goes to the in hose fan switch, then to earth. To wire the switch a second wire is connected to the earth on the relay, through the manual switch then to earth. So if either switch is closed the relay has an earth and the fan comes on.

Comment

Likewise, mine is also wired through a relay, something I forgot to mention, as the fan takes a fair bit of current and a switch to handle it would ne fairly bulky.

Comment

Try this just come up on ebay

number 25290346839

adrian
                        Last edited by listerjp2; 27-05-17, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X