Wiring an RPM gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring an RPM gauge

Help please, I really must get this wired in, so which wire goes where, and should the casing be earthed ?

Google has just confused me, note that my choice of wire colour is purely arbitrary, it's what came out of the stock box

I guess one goes on the coil or the distributor (I have a standard coil, no ballast resistor) but which terminal ?

......and the other ?

The top terminal is a push on bullet type, to which I've attached a thicker white wire

The lower terminal is a spade type and I've put a green wire on this one

T I A DC
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dcunn; 29-05-17, 12:28 PM.

Re: Wiring an RPM gauge

Aha! I have just wired up one of these for my classic so you are in luck for a speedy reply!

The spade terminal is for 12v ignition supply. The bullet connector is the sensing wire and needs to go to the Earth terminal on the coil. The panel light can be looped into the existing panel lamps feed and the clamp that holds it all in to the dash normally earths the body. If you have a wooden dash, or metal sub panel mounted to a wooden dash, then run an earth wire to a terminal under one of the clamp screws. Peter.

Comment

Rapid and good info, as always.

I've just added text to the picture above in case anyone wants to save it for reference

Many thanks Peter

Rgds DC

EDIT : As at 4pm the car now has a working RPM Gauge, thank you
      Last edited by dcunn; 29-05-17, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Result!

Comment

Working...
        X