Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Series Engines. Earlpart?

Hi Folks.

I was getting stuck into all things Roadster at the weekend and decided the best way to replace my gubbed old gearbox was to remove the engine and box as a unit. The engine is now pretty tired and has a few leaks etc. Its an old Gold Seal A+ Unit and the Engine number tallies with the Marlin build plate. I believe it has done a considerable mileage.

As usual I'd like to pick the engineering brains of the more mechanically experienced Club members for their help.

I have a spare engine from an earlier Marina that has covered only 49000 miles. It is completely dismantled and in good condition and standard bores look fine. One piston is (strangely) cracked which could explain why it was burning oil a bit. I wished to rebuild this unit with a new oil pump and timing chain and a new set of pistons, rings and main bearings. Everything else looks fine and in good order with little wear. This engine is an A Series and not the "Plus" so has a different distributor drive etc. The gearbox from this car is the "new" one I was about to fit to the A+ engine. Am I presuming correctly that this gearbox should fit either engine? I noticed a couple of differences with the gear leavers when I was shortening and welding up the new lever to fit the new box.

So I need a new engine, however work will preclude me finding the time to rebuild the A Series at the moment and I was looking for guidance on whether any of you had a recommendation for a good rebuilder or if anyone had purchased a rebuilt unit from Earlpart, for example.

Your suggestions and advice will be most welcome.

Cheers

Scotty McBride.

Re: A Series Engines. Earlpart?

Hi Scotty,
    I am currently rebuilding my A series. I was just going to replace gaskets but got carried away and ended with a full strip down.
    I would attempt to rebuild it yourself, it's not too difficult, just get yourself a workshop manual and start stripping. Just make sure you bag and label everything.

Comment

Piccies before and during strip are often a very great reference help too

Comment

As far as time is concerned it may not take a lot longer to rebuild your engine than to find a trustworthy builder and get our engine to and from him. You will have an engine you know is properly rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
          As far as time is concerned it may not take a lot longer to rebuild your engine than to find a trustworthy builder and get our engine to and from him. You will have an engine you know is properly rebuilt.
          Sadly very true. But, if you are mechanically minded, rebuilding an original engine yourself is so much more satisfying!
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Also when your engine is stripped down it's the perfect opportunity to clean up and paint the block.
            If you are to strip down yourself make sure you take extra care removing the cam.
            I also agree it is very satisfying knowing you did it and you know what parts have been replaced.
            Go for it, it really is not that difficult, there is always plenty of help and advice within the owners club should you need it.

Comment

All good stuff chaps. Presume you used Earlpart for your parts? I'm just starting to search for parts. A Series Spares and Bull Motif are a starter for ten. Do any of you know of others?

Cheers

Scotty

Comment

As a source of parts I have always found Earlpart to be relatively expensive.
                The basic 1300 BMC engine was used in many different vehicles, Wikipedia will give you a clue so given the engine number it is quite possible that component can be traced through parts lists and then the several classic parts companies who stock classic Mini parts.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I have pm'd you.

adrian

Originally posted by sconebum View Post
                  All good stuff chaps. Presume you used Earlpart for your parts? I'm just starting to search for parts. A Series Spares and Bull Motif are a starter for ten. Do any of you know of others?

Cheers

Scotty

Comment

Working...
                  X