Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina gear stick gaiter?

Hi

Have just replaced the gearbox on my marina based roadster (see pic's here http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...-method-please
    ), but the gearstick gaiter didn't survive

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement?

Have tried the usual searches on ebay without any joy

Or does anyone know of a good alternative?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Phil

Re: Marina gear stick gaiter?

The Marina gaiter was only convenient as it came from the donor car. The transmission tunnel shape is entirely different in a Marlin Roadster.
    There are many alternatives, assuming your old one was a Marina item, it's just a case of finding one that suits from eBay or any of the Kit Car parts suppliers.

Comment

Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Try Stuart Miles 07517 626540 he has been breaking Marinas.I've had a couple o things off him.

Comment

Thanks Ben, thats the first one I have seen that even looks capable of fitting over the anti-vibration gubbins on the gear stick

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
            Try Stuart Miles 07517 626540 he has been breaking Marinas.I've had a couple o things off him.
            Thanks, will give him a ring this morning

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              The Marina gaiter was only convenient as it came from the donor car. The transmission tunnel shape is entirely different in a Marlin Roadster.
              There are many alternatives, assuming your old one was a Marina item, it's just a case of finding one that suits from eBay or any of the Kit Car parts suppliers.
              Thanks for the quick reply Steve, I will keep looking but can't see much that will accommodate the bulk of the anti vibration gubbins on the marina gear stick. Have also had a couple of good pointers from Ben Caswell and HairyDave so hopefully will be sorted today

Comment

Not all Marinas or Triumphs brat use the same pattern box have anti vibration built into them.
                Certainly the ones without are easier to bend for better access.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help

In the end I decided to try modifying the gear stick (the bends in the original meant it was almost touching the tunnel in 2nd and 4th), so cut the rubber vibration damper off, annealed the stub end (keeping the heat as local as I could) and drilled it to take an 8mm round bar that I had lying around

Needed a bit of messing around to get the bends right and to avoid fouling the handbrake but it's done now and I could use an MGB gaiter that seems neater than the bulky Marina item (to me anyway)

Again thanks for the help

Phil
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lovely job,

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
                      Lovely job,
                      Well almost.... if you look closely at the picture in the car you can see that I had to put an extension on it (just an 8mm coupler with a bit of threaded rod out the top for the gear knob)

Moral is measure twice and cut once I guess....

Comment

Well at least you can reach the gear lever!

Comment

Well done, that looks a lot more sensible. The easy ? solution to a non standard gaiter is to make one from leather. If you have, or can find in a charity shop an old leather coat or large handbag for example you can quite simply make a paper template and get your wife or an obliging sewing machine operator to stitch it inside and turn it over and use a chrome bezel from Car Builders or elsewhere to attach the bottom.

Comment

Classic Cars Skill Shack has an instrucible on stitching leather. Aberkhan (Chester& N Wales) or Tandy leather for matrials. Most men are quite capable of mastering a sewing machine.Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X