Tappy Tappets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappy Tappets

My 2.0ltr Pinto powered Cabrio developed a noisy tappet, have been very quiet. I believe engine was rebuilt before I bought it a few years back and I have done less than 500 miles. It does have a fast road cam.

I whipped off the rocker cover and re-set the tappets. A few were a few thou tight and some a few thou tight but none with a big gap that could be the problem tappet. Used Haynes manual settings. (I did insert feelers from several direction in case I was not getting a good reading)

Cam looked good, oil rail seemed clear and working and all generally clean and looking like it should.

Changed oil and filter for good measure and put it all back together and it was no better if anything very slightly worse.

Looking at a few Pinto forums this seems a common issue and no one seemed to have a clear reason/solution for it.

Any ideas suggestions from the gurus of the mighty Marlin forum!!

Re: Tappy Tappets

On B series engines it is not unusual to find excessive wear on the underside of the rocker shaft.
    The only way to inspect it, is to remove it completely. Convential wisdom is to replace the shaft with a tufrided one and then to replace the rocker bushes, or for convenience, buy a new set of rockers.

Fords might not be the same.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Have you checked the turbosport forum? They seem to be a good source of help for this type of thing. From what I have read they can be noisy when they are too tight as well. Do you know what cam it has in it?
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

A common problem with the pinto is a blocked cam oil spray bar. Remove the cam cover and briefly start the engine to make sure the cam is getting plenty of oil.

Comment

Check spray bar as above, usually only one hole blocked, so make sure and check all. There is an uprated spray bar available which helps. This blockage was a common fault.
          Good starting procedure for a Pinto which has not been run for a few days is to let the engine turn over without starting the engine. This ensures the cam has plenty of oil before firing up.
          This is easy on an engine which is being fed by the standard manual pump, and no one way valve in the petrol line to carb as the fuel drains back and can take some time to reach the carb. If an electric pump is fitted then a simple cut out switch wired to the coil works well and lets you turn the engine over as long as you like. I would also check what clearance the manufacturer advises for your fast road cam.

Comment

Thanks all, a few usefull comments in there. A few valvs that were only a few thou tight out of spec so left them - may go for a more accurate setting. I also did not check spray bar running on a visual when dry. I will test for rocker shaft play and have a look at the mentioned web site.

Comment

Is there an easy way to identify the cam I have as I need to check properly

Comment

It's normally on the back of the cam

Comment

I assume that means end of cam near bulkhead

Comment

Yes, that's right

Comment

I noticed on my old Pinto that the rocker to valve faces were worn slightly u shaped. I used a dial indicator to set the tappets. This was a bit of a nuisance but made the tapperty sound vanish.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by milliemarlin View Post
                        I noticed on my old Pinto that the rocker to valve faces were worn slightly u shaped. I used a dial indicator to set the tappets. This was a bit of a nuisance but made the tapperty sound vanish.

Paul
                        Setting tappers with a DTI is the most accurate way.
                        If the faces are worn, don't be tempted to grind them smooth. Most tappets are case hardened so you risk grinding through to soft metal and doubling your noise level within a few hours running.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

You could level em,hot em up to cherry red then plunge em into old engine oil, the carbon should do the case hardening, a colleague in the uk makes lots of pieces for a barrel back Morgan 3 wheeler like that, he's never had probs afterwards!

Comment

You could true them up and use Kasenit to re harden the faces, thanks to health and safety you will probably need to wear a complete divers outfit and carry the procedure out in the outback.

Comment

I used the "rule of 9" when setting the cam-to-follower clearances on my old Sierra.

Example A. Turn engine until say no 2 valve fully open (so it is on the highest lift of he cam). Check 9 - 2 = 7 so check no 7 clearance.
                              Example B Turn engine until say no 5 valve is fully open. Check 9 - 5 = 4 so check no 4 clearance.

Saves turning the engine over too many times. I always write the valve numbers 1 to 8 on a piece of cardboard, then write the clearances next to them and then tick them off as I set them.

Check also that you are sure which valve (inlet or exhaust) you are actually checking and using the correct feeler size for that valve. I seem to remember making a mistake the fist time I set my Pinto as the valves / followers were not in the same sequence / position as my old Cortina!

Taking the spark plugs out also makes life a lot easier when you have to use a socket spanner to turn the engine over! Oh for the days of a starting handle!
                              Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X