Tappy Tappets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tappy Tappets

Again, for Marina rockers (MGB) they are phosphor bronze bushed, so there may be some impact on the shaft/rocker bearing quality.
    I would think it that if you were to get up to hardening temperatures, the bushings would tend to fall out. You can get new bushes but they need to be pressed in and then reamed to size but for the cost and hassle it's a lot of work when you can buy complete remanufactured rocker sets, ready to fit, with no Healh and Safety worries of Kasenit, red hot metal, and smoking, perhaps igniting, old engine oil, not the ideal product to use.

Somewhere in my archives I also have data on the hardness of valve stem tips. It is entirely possible that an over-hardened rocker will damage the valves, not so easy to repair.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

ok accepted - it was just a suggestion without a great deal of thought, I had marinas long ago but the mists of time etc!

Comment

Interesting never thought or heard of setting tappets with a DTI - as I have one I may give it a go

Comment

just a thought...depending on which cam you have, hot cams are always a bit noisier on the pinto, but if you know which camshaft it is you may find it has slightly different gaps to the standard cam and they may need to be set with lobes at 11 and 1 o clock? Also the pinto can be abit funny about how you push the feelers in - from what angle etc! Dont ask me why. If you are convinced the gap is right and its still noisy then it may be the cam bearings are worn

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions all will be tried as a good excuse to tinker with oily bits. I should add that this is striving for engine perfection and its runs great. I keep the car on the road all year round and on most weather reasonable weekends I find an excuse for a spin, touch wood it always starts and runs trouble free. Last weekend was the Capel Village classic car show near Dorking a good mix of about 500 work a day classics with a few clubs there. Worth a trip for the cars the rest of show is a bit lightweight. No other Marlins there that I could see. Having built up a confidence in the car I now drive it a little more, lets us say assertively, makes for great fun on those B roads.

Comment

Working...
            X