MOT emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT emissions

Just reading - as yer do - the 18th edition of the MOT emission requirements for the guidance of testers.
    Page 2 states that amateur and kit built vehicles registered before 01/08/98 are visual emissions only ( considered as pre 1975 )
    Did we all know that? I certainly didn,t.
    Might help.

Re: MOT emissions

That's right it's just a smoke test. The last time I looked anything on a Q plate...
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Learn something new every day .......

Comment

It needs to have a Q reg to qualify for visual smoke test. One of the few advantages of a Q.

Comment

My 1996 Hunter before I bought it 2 years ago had only had a visual smoke test. When I took it for MOT to a different garage they failed it on emissions and front flexible brake pipes catching on wheels when turning. On retest a different Tester passed on Visual smoke test. This year the original Tester tried to fail it on emissions, but it was only after I pointed out the relevant details, ie pre 1998 he passed it. By the way mine is a "P" registration. David.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmartin720 View Post
            My 1996 Hunter before I bought it 2 years ago had only had a visual smoke test. When I took it for MOT to a different garage they failed it on emissions and front flexible brake pipes catching on wheels when turning. On retest a different Tester passed on Visual smoke test. This year the original Tester tried to fail it on emissions, but it was only after I pointed out the relevant details, ie pre 1998 he passed it. By the way mine is a "P" registration. David.
            But if your car is a Hunter, it isnt a kit, its a new car as it says on the front page of the V5C, so it should be tested for the year of manufacture.
            Mine was tested the other month and flew through because everything is present and working as it should

Comment

Mine is also P registration only visual test for MOT, at the last MOT out of interest it was tested on the emissions test it passed within the limits.

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
                But if your car is a Hunter, it isnt a kit, its a new car as it says on the front page of the V5C, so it should be tested for the year of manufacture.
                Mine was tested the other month and flew through because everything is present and working as it should
                My V5 just says Marlin no reference to Hunter or Cabrio
                Two separate MOT testers have classed it as a kit car without any comment from me

Comment

In this instance, what is the relevance of a "Q" plate ?
                  A "Q" plate refers to a vehicle made from other parts and has no bearing on the date of registration per se.
                  The MOT manual only refers to date of first reg.

"PETROL AND GAS POWERED VEHICLES
                  Vehicles to be tested

In-use exhaust emissions testing is applied to all petrol and gas-powered vehicles with four or more wheels. The test does not apply to vehicles fitted with 2-stroke engines. The following types of vehicle will be considered as first used before 1 August 1975 (Visual Test):

 Wankel rotary engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987.

 All kit-cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998.

1.1 Types of test

The emissions test to which a vehicle is subject will depend upon its date of first use (i.e. date of registration or date of manufacture if used abroad before first registration in the UK) as follows:

 For vehicles first used before 1 August 1975 a visual test will be applied.

 For vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1975 a metered test will be applied."

Comment

For emissions purposes a Q plate (i.e. uncertain age) is deemed to be pre-August 1975, hence visual smoke test only...at least that's my understanding..!
                    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                      For emissions purposes a Q plate (i.e. uncertain age) is deemed to be pre-August 1975, hence visual smoke test only...at least that's my understanding..!
                      Mine too.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

No wonder the MOT guys are "confused.

"3. Vehicle ‘first used’ Dates - Application of Test Criteria
                        NT’s will normally be provided with the vehicle details as part of the registration process. This will usually include the vehicle’s ‘first used’ date. Where this information is available, the NT should only use Reasons for Rejection applicable to the vehicle’s age.
                        However, in cases where this information is not available or incorrect, the NT should determine the vehicle’s ‘first used’ date as follows:
                        a. Its date of manufacture, if the vehicle was originally used without being registered in GB (e.g., an imported vehicle or ex-HM Forces vehicle), or
                        b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971" (MOT Inspection Manual 2017)

So now we have 3 variants -

a) The amateur and kit built dates.
                        b) The Q plate dates.
                        and
                        c) The engine manufacture dates!

Worth knowing all of these to be able to quote come the time lol!

Comment

Originally posted by dave_clutterbuck View Post
                          My V5 just says Marlin no reference to Hunter or Cabrio
                          Two separate MOT testers have classed it as a kit car without any comment from me
                          Mine just says Marlin, but section 3 on the front page says declared new and these notes cant be removed, so for me its tested as a 1997 car as the running gear was all new when installed.

Comment

Indeed my section 3 does say that I had not noticed before, as the engine pre dates the car it has to be emission tested to that date for me

Comment

I actually wanted my MoT chap to carry out the emission test. It helps me know how my own modified Bosch L-jetronic system is working.
                              He agreed a the report was well within limits.
                              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                              X