Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone fitted a Quickshift to an MT75 box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fitted a Quickshift to an MT75 box?

My Cabrio has the For i4 8 Valve DOHC engine and MT75 transmission. A couple of weeks ago I found Reverse had vanished. Closer inspection revealed that the knob had slid down the stick far enough to prevent the lift for reverse to lift. Easy fix (Teaser Tuff-tape over the top of the metal push fit of the knob sorted.
    BUT...this brought the following out onto the open. When engaging 3rd or 5th, I have occasionally caught my knuckles on the bottom of the dash or radio. No blood or bruising, just irritation, but I'm looking to increase the clearance between the knob and the console when selecting 3rd and 5th. I'm changing the knob (for sentimental reasons) and the replacement, while being the same height (in fact probably up to 50mm taller) is about 10mm smaller in diameter, which should help, but I'm wondering if a Quickshift would sort this out even more? HAS ANYONE OUT THERE fitted a quickshift to an MT75? I'm not a boy racer and I'm not likely to take the car onto a track ever...it's a road going tourer...I'm into comfort rather than speed, if you like....so I'm after a spot of advice: in service, some say the quickshift provides shorter speedier changes, although the effort required is obviously greater. I don't think I'm especially interested in speed of change, only the decreased range of travel and I don't expect the extra effort will be beyond me, but before I gamble with the cost with fingers firmly crossed that it will prove to provide the improvement I'm after...has anyone any experience of this mod ??
    Bill

Re: Anyone fitted a Quickshift to an MT75 box?

Hi Bill

I had the same problem on my previous Cabrio which had an Mt75 lift reverse gearstick. I didn’t want to fit a quickshift because i didn’t want a notchy change but I needed more clearence on the gear shift. After some deliberation I ended up shortening the lever itself by about 25mm but managed to keep the lift reverse.

Its a while since I did it but I may have pictures of how I did it. As I remember at first I thought it wouldn't be possible but it was reasonably straight forward in the end. I dont have the car any more but i’ll see if i can find any info on the process of shortening the lever. I am on holiday at the moment so it will be a few days before I can take a look.

It certainly fixed the shift clearence problem.

John

Comment

Re: Anyone fitted a Quickshift to an MT75 box?

I fitted a quickshift gearstick from Rally Design. No problems, and I don't bang my knuckles.

Comment

Working...
      X