Why I'm a Club Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I'm a Club Member

Returning home from a trip to Wales, I hit a particularly bad pot hole on the A534 Nantwich road by the Bickerton Poacher, for those that know it. This jolted off the chrome retaining ring and lens from my side lamp, although I stopped to try and retrieve the said items, the chances were slim, the sides of the road being rough grass. These lamps have been on the car since 1995 the rubber that retains everything was probably showing its age, like me.
    I considered that replacement parts may be difficult to obtain so it was probably time for an upgrade.
    This is when the M.O.C web site comes into its own a quick search and I found a modification to led lights that had been done by Bryan Stapley back in 2012, using Range Rover side repeaters. Imagine the time it would have taken to search Pit Stop articles?
    The mod was simple, hardest part making the new fixing plate, the improvement is obvious.

I have been a member of the club since 1988, perhaps not as active as many, the club has moved with technology perhaps not as fast as some would like, but remember the cars that bring us all together are mostly old tech. With the latest industry moves to electric hybrid cars and restrictions on emission our cars lives look very limited. Since 1988 the kit car industry has changed dramatical with very limited shows. Time to stop arguing about constitutions and get back to tinkering with cars.

Thanks to all the people who have kept the club alive, long may it continue.
    Attached Files

Re: Why I'm a Club Member

Well said, that's why I'm still a member.

Comment

Precisely !!
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Well said that gentleman,

Comment

Coincidentally I have just done the same modification in the last month, having had the repeaters sitting in my garage for years. The joy of being retired at last!

Comment

If you're retired how do you find the time?

Comment

Mr Hunt. Thank you for putting it so correctly, i think most members feel the same way,if you don,t you can also leave,its not compulsory to be a member as far as i know
              Hasse

Comment

Well said Dave Hunt, totally agree, I visit the forum to read interesting things like minded people are doing with their cars not to be subjected to infighting and point scoring.
                Graham

Comment

Originally posted by fouter View Post
                  Well said Dave Hunt, totally agree, I visit the forum to read interesting things like minded people are doing with their cars not to be subjected to infighting and point scoring.
                  Graham
                  Me too
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thank you all, reading what you have all said makes this retired old fuddy duddie feel that what I am doing trying to keep the club going is worth it. Many thanks once again.
                    regards Patrick

Comment

Oh good, I'm in the right forum for fuddy duddies!!!

Comment

If you're retired how do you find the time?
                        Beats me. Managed the swap the engine for a Zetec unit too.

Comment

To open a can of worms, reading all the above, nobody has implicitly said they are members of the MOC so they can help other members with their expertise, they are all users!

That is my sole purpose, to help others, I think I am the resident expert (formally unrecognised by the MOC) on all things Marina related, just as Ben (formally recognised) on all things Triumph related, and Danny (formally recognised) on all things Berlinetta related et al.

I run my own resource at keepandshare, at my own time and expense (voluntarily, just like the committee) where I share Marina related documents, currently in excess of 2Gb of accessible data and 300+ documents, you don't have to be a member of the MOC to read them, it's totally free, despite what you might have been told. Current download rate is about 700 documents per month.

Why don't you share them directly on the MOC forum, I hear you say.

Reason one: if I update a document I do it in one place, that means that historical links on the MOC forum are always updated, and I can inform downloaders of the change.
                          Reason two: I can make updates without having to jump through hoops with the forum admin, which brings me on to reason three.
                          Reason three: I can share what I like with friends, whether or not the document is protected by copyright (notionally) I am sure you all do it privately.
                          Reason four: Not all my documents are specifically Marlin related, most cross over to the Morris Marina and other cars that use the Marina as a donor.

This month so far, 700+ documents have been downloaded from my resource.
                          Am I doing something wrong, because that exceedes the number of MOC members and the number of Marina based Roadsters.

Does anyone else in the MOC offer such an extensive free resource to those who want to make a little effort to access it.

I await all the members above this post to make a comment on my four reasons.

I have made a mental list of my critics, and the order in which they respond.

But I have a list of MOC members and many non members that have benefitted from my advice.

Over to you!
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

oops, have I missed something in this thread.

I'm first, yeah hey.

Adrian

Comment

Bingo, I win, my arch enemy, former Marina Roadster advisor!
                              MOC member since 05/97
                              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                              X