Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conundrum

OK gents. A quick bit of history: Roadster Marina based built and on road 1990, using the steering rack from the donor, 1976.
    In 1998 the rack seized and I fitted a rebuilt exchange unit.
    Forward to this week. Took the rack off while I had the front of the car apart to change the O/S gaiter which was leaking. Then noticed that the N/S one was not the same (had already ordered a pair of the split one) The nearest I have found on fleabay is for a Cortina or Fiesta
    In the pic of the end of the rack you can see the holes which the gaiter covers which allow the oil to flow back and forth passed the end bush which seems to be a plastic one with some small grooves. The track rod ends engage by about 3/4" each end.

The rack certainly looks a bit like a Fiesta one
    So the question is what rack have I got. Should say it fits perfectly and works well, it's been going nearly 20 yrs.
    Have ordered a set of cortina ones so well see if the fit.
    TS533 is a Fiesta one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by h_m_cumming; 25-10-17, 03:58 PM. Reason: addition

Re: Conundrum

If you send me a file of your rack pictures i will ID it for you and can rebuild your rack or supply a factory remanufactured unit as required [email protected] CPSdrivelink.co.uk

Comment

Thanks but it's in good shape, just needs new boots which I hope I've now sussed. Just wondered what rack it was as it doesn't seem to conform to a Mk 1 or 2 Marina.

Comment

if you send me a file of your pics i can identify it we supply many applications Uk and overseas plus heritage check out our website for info

Comment

I think my tracking's out!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Ha! A crossed eyed Roadster.
            How is the engine rebuild going?

Comment

All back together. No manifolds on yet and waiting on my cam covers being paint stripped. Once there on I can fill it up with oil and get it circulalating. Can't fill it 'till then- don't ask me how I know!! Got the rack to put back together when the bits arrive then see if the nose cone is finished. Might get it all back together for Xmas, Ha, Ha.

Comment

Cortina boots arrived, perfect fit on the LH end but the input shaft seal is leaking. Shaft looks OK so have ordered new seal, 22-14-4 for future ref.
                So now I've got a steering rack RH end Marina Mk2, LH end Cortina.

Comment

Just a quick update on the oil seal for the rack I/P shaft. The plate that it fits in is 5mm thick. The 4mm seal only has a non spring loaded lip. Looking around I found a 5mm seal which has a spring loaded lip and a dirt seal lip so ordered one and fitted. Perfect fit and should hold the oil in better.
                  I squeezed a load of CV joint moly grease along the rack and pinion and once the boots were on added 120mil. of EP8o oil.
                  Should be good for another 20 yrs.

Comment

Well all up and running now. Done 57 miles today as running in. Still a bit of tidying up to do but if everything goes to plan hope to get to Stonleigh. If the weather stays dry will get some polish on it, the bonnet in particular is a bit dull.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The car looks great.
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Hugh,
                        I agree with David. The car is looking really good again. I have always admired your car, particularly the engine fit which is a work of art. I too have the Fiat twin cam fitted to my Roadster so it will be good to see you at Stoneleigh.
                        Chris

Comment

Thanks guys, just keeping fingers crossed I finish a couple of jobs and can still get in and out with my arthritic knees.

Comment

Nice roadster ! Hope to see you at Stoneleigh ...

As a triumph based roadster owner, is it me or are there a large proportion of posts about steering racks for marina based cars ? I'm guessing this is a combination of parts availability, non standard installations & change of fitting during the Marina production run ???
                            Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
                            Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Hi Hugh, I will have to pop over again sometime to see the car. Looking great.

Comment

Working...
                              X