Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MK3/4 Cortina front hubs Berlinetta 2.0 ltre.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK3/4 Cortina front hubs Berlinetta 2.0 ltre.

Hi,
    Has any one got some thoughts on how I can replace wheel bearings on above car with only general tools ?, plus recommend either to replace disc calipers or repair old units .
    Both have been trouble ever since last M O T when tester went for gold as it was a kit car ,not normal car. .
    I wont mention what he did to handbrake !..
    Or the front chrome headlights !.
    Thanks.

Re: MK3/4 Cortina front hubs Berlinetta 2.0 ltre.

bearings are straight forward on the cortina hubs, if you need the instructions let me know and I will post. If discs are down to below their minimum thickness then definitely replace but refurbish calipers by all means; if you aren't happy about doing it then I can recommend Bigg Red as they will do a super job for a realistic price.

Comment

Hi Fred, No special tools needed. The Cortina front wheel bearings are tapered, so are a reasonably straight forward
      job to replace. The bearing kit will come complete with grease seal. If the discs are below min thickness or have deep scoring or excessive corrosion then replace. After what you have said I would renew discs and calipers. Exchange calipers are around £100. Just a thought before you start taking anything apart, make sure that the bearings really do need replacing and not just adjusted (as they are taper and will take up any evident play) The full process is well covered in the Haynes manual. As above , happy to give any help you may feel that you need.

Comment

Thanks to you both.
        Seams what I thought, but had concerns.
        Regards calipers. Have a few quotes for exchange calipers . All are around £150 - £175 with £20 back if old ones returned are service able?. If you can tell me where they are £100 would be overjoyed or address for Bigg Red would also be helpful !.
        As said MOT caused this ,they found no fault with brakes as all pads and shoes replaced last spring. It was there heavy footing and wrenching handbrake that has caused all my braking issues ,as now quite unpredictable to which way car will go on heavy breaking. Note: No previous problems for 7 yrs. Apart from where.
        Many thanks again.

Comment

Contact Details

Bigg Red Ltd
          The Workshop
          Weir Lane
          Worcester
          WR24AY

Tel: 01905428793
          Email: [email protected]
          Definitely worth talking to them first. When I sent mine in (they were proper siezed and I couldnt get the pistons out) they were very helpful and reasonably priced. I had mine done in May 2015 and they cost £39.50 each.

Comment

Working...
          X