Marlin member contact service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin member contact service

A number of members have indicated that they would like to meet up with other local members. To assist this we are going to trial a new service that enables members to pass on their own contact details to all members within about 50 miles of their home address. The distance of 50 miles is around an hour’s drive. We will not give out any members address or contact details without their permission.

To use this service a member needs email me giving permission to pass on their choice of contact details to other members. They should also include a reason for the contact. For example:
    Dear Web Administrator,
    Please can you distribute my contact details as I would like to organise a monthly meet in my locality.
    John Doe
    Email xxxxx Phone xxxxx Mobile xxxxx

I would then email the nearby members by blind copy. It is then up to those members if they would like to get involved.

The process requires manual intervention and has a number of limitations.
    • The distance is measured as the crow flies.
    • Currently it is restricted to the UK.
    • Not all members have emails.
    • Members are under no obligation to reply and may prefer not to be contacted.
    • Not all members maintain their contact email address.
    • The service is on a best can do basis with no service level implied.
    • We never give out any members details without their permission.
    • We may withdraw this service without warning.

Paul

Re: Marlin member contact service

Well done Paul.

I hope that you get a good take up on this initiative after all the comments/wants/moans etc on this subject

Rgds DC

Comment

50 miles in an hour !! not round here matey !! my number is in the mag so anyone is welcome to phone or email me if they fancy a day out on the M25

What would be helpful is if everyone put their location up on the header profile.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
        50 miles in an hour !! not round here matey !!
        At least you can drive 50 miles. I'll be in the sea long before that!
        Paul

Comment

Just driven around 20 miles and took an hour. We don’t need speed cameras or speed bumps any more, the volume of traffic stops any speeding. This is in Cornwall, hate to think what it’s like around the cities.

Comment

I might be being over simplistic here, but can there not be a list of all members names, address and phone number and perhaps which Marlin they own and an opt out rather than an opt in option.
            Steve Lilley

Comment

I am feeling left out, has Brexit started early ???

Comment

Dear Web Administrator,
                Please can you distribute my contact details as I would like to meet anyone South Wales who would like meet in my locality.
                I think I might just have the only Marlin in West Wales so we will soon see
                Last edited by burnside; 15-12-17, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I strongly advise members not to post their personal details here.
                  Paul

PS: Members can edit their own posts.

Comment

Hi Paul, Emailed you rather than pm with my details. Did you receive it or should I pm?
                    Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
                      I might be being over simplistic here, but can there not be a list of all members names, address and phone number and perhaps which Marlin they own and an opt out rather than an opt in option.
                      Steve Lilley
                      This has been discussed many times but has been unlawful since 1998, the new GDPR is even more specific:

Consent requires a positive opt-in. You are not allowed to use pre-ticked boxes or any other method of consent by default.
                      Explicit consent requires a very clear and specific statement of consent.
                      Consent requests like this have to be separate from other terms and conditions.
                      Blanket consent is not enough. Like "by becoming a member I agree to all terms and conditions...blah blah blah"

So although Paul is taking on a huge task he is doing it in a legally complicit way and that is commendable.

Definitely don't put your info on here as the club cant be held responsibly for its security. Data collected in the UK is going to have to stay in the UK (Brexit comments allowed now!).

Sorry to sound like a naysayer but the GDPR is going to have a big impact on everyone's lives I suspect, especially SMEs and clubs who don't have the resources at their disposal to manage the changes.

Comment

Not a 'naysayer' at all.
                        As you correctly state GDPR will have an impact particularly on clubs/associations who want to and get their members actively involved. Surely that's all!
                        (The 'Members map' thread itself had numerous comments/debate on this.)
                        Brian

Learning more about:
                        June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
                        1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
                        And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

It all sounds like an admin heavy task. Especially as someone may inherit Paul’s handiwork in May next year.

A suggestion for Paul would be to make use of the PM system available on this forum. It might increase the forum traffic.
                          Members might have to check their forum profiles to ensure that the PM options are enabled.

Surely though most of the tools necessary are available on this forum.

Take Ben’s advice and add you location to your profile, the regular forum users, possibly the only people who will make use of the service, will be able to see your chosen location, perhaps just your county, it might just stick in their minds.

Then make use of the Events section of this Forum, to announce your proposed gathering location and date. Occasional ‘bump’ updates will keep the thread active for all forum users to see.

It’s then down to the members themselves to make it a success.

The bonus would be no GDPR challenges to face and minimum input from the hard pressed committee.

As for publishing your email address and phone number on the internet, that’s a personal decision. Provided you are savvy enough and recognise scam and phishing emails, have good security software etc. there is absolutely no problem.
                          MOC member since 05/97
                          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                            Hi Paul, Emailed you rather than pm with my details. Did you receive it or should I pm?
                            Cheers,
                            Hi Meverett,
                            I have sent you a pm.
                            Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul,
                              Just sent you a reply.
                              Cheers,
                              Martin.

Comment

Working...